Antihistamine of choice to help with a chronic snuffler

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonzo, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

Wess's congestion is getting more manageable. His diabetes is well managed at this time and I'm still looking to relieve any stress by improving his personal comfort. I'm still giving him clindamycin for secondary infections . His appetite enhancement when needed is be taken care of by mirtazapine. We've tried cerenia on a 5 day on 2 day off regimen and there appears to be some positives.

My issue is I'd like to make Wess's day a tad more enjoyable and let him breath without tossing a king size luggee. I steam him as well as apply saline to his eyes and nasal cavity. I'd like to include a antihistamine that will act more on the sinuses. What is the antihistamine of choice. I have the list and the dosages but there's very little discussed about the actual target of the various drugs.

What has the experience with Cetirizine been????

2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

This is with a non-diabetic cat, but I use albuterol with a mask. It opens things up pretty good for her.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  3. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

Bonzo disappeared 7/20/2015 ? Bonzo's tend to do that :woot: it's usually a katnip run that's gotten out of hand!

I had heard good things about using fitted inhalers. Wess seems to eventually clue in that some things are a benefit and eventually complies, what has your experience been? He let's me flush his nose and eyes with saline now, the scars from the learning curve are starting to heal. It would do my heart good to know he was able to breathe more easily.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what your cat's issues are, but my kitties seem to get allergies and sneeze and get stuffed up. My vet said it was okay to give 1/4 of a tablet of Zyrtec every 12 hours if needed. It helps my cats. Sometimes I only have to give it once a day, but sometimes they do need it every 12 hours.

5. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

Zyrtec is Cetirizine so that's a good thing. Thanks for the info.

6. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Albuterol works very well. We had ones of those AeroKat masks for the albuterol, but my boy didn't need it enough to get used to it. We could probably have gotten him used to it over time, but his issues went away before we got to that point.

7. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Since Coral and her daughter have sensitivity to food and/or environment we have thought of an antihistamine as well. A girl friend suggested Clemastine Fumarate tablets that she discovered while hunting for an antihistamine for her husband. It was touted as being used in cats. I plan to go on line and do some research. Has anyone had any experience with this drug?

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

This section of the Merck Veterinary Manual discusses some common antihistamines and signs that the amount has been toxic. I thought you might find it helpful.

9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I have been giving Murphy 5 mg/zyrtec twice a day when he needs it on and off for about a year - it works very well and is quite effective. No side effects that I can tell. I have tried chlorpheniramine but I don't think it works as well, and seemed to make him sleepy. I've also recently started giving him Viralys lysine powder

10. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

How do you give him the Zyrtec? By mouth as a cut pill?

I give Wess
    Vetoquinol Enisyl-F Lysine Paste. It's easy to give in a syringe and both cats like it.

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I give Zyrtec in a pill pocket. Some cats will eat pill pockets and some cats won't.

12. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Murphy won't eat pill pockets I cut the zyrtec in half with a pill cutter, then put half in a Culturelle probiotic capsule in the am, in the pm I put it in a small beef flavored gelatin capsule (from capsuline)

13. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

Right now I give Wess any cut pills in a #3 gel cap. I didn't have much luck with pill pockets. The beef flavoured capsules look interesting as do the probiotics (culturel). The lighter capsules I manage to weigh down with parmesan cheese otherwise they sometimes stick on the roof of his mouth. Thanks for all of the input.

14. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

Carol
    I'm assuming you empty enough of the contents to facilitate the zyrtec. I guess you could pour the loose probiotic over food . Thanks for the valuable information.

15. Carol & Murphy (GA)

No, my vet recommended giving Culturelle as a probiotic (IBS may be the reason he can't tolerate canned food) - I lose a little probiotic when I open the capsule but I pop the zyrtec in it, close it up, and pop it in his mouth the capsules are quite large - I don't have any problem giving it to Murphy, but they may be too big for some cats. With another cat I had, I would put a tiny bit of butter on the capsules to make them easier to give and go down but that's probably not a good idea with diabetic cats

16. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

The veterinary treatment outlines include the dosages, they just don't include all of the data on the full range of drugs, either does the Merk manual.. I wind up using several to get the full story. The Ontario Veterinary Association has an excellent collection of papers associated with there seminars that are offered at their conventions. I rely on my Vet and a few pharmacists. I know a few pharmacists who are animal lovers and are extremely helpful.
    Even though Upper Resp has been around for a while it appears that it isn't on top of everyones list. I think we all share the disgust for the disposable pet model. Most people don't have the pluck, dedication or for that matter the time to give their little buddies. Vets like Dr Scherk and Dr Hurley are few and far between and so are dedicated feline caregivers like us.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  17. Bonzo

Bonzo Member

I had a long talk with my Vet today. He is basically putting the ball in my court. He gave me the white paper on treatments for the various incarnations of upper respiratory syndrome when we started treatments. He doesn't get beyond his scope but he is an excellent Vet and uses simple common sense. I managed to get him to take Wess from another Vet in the clinic
    I have about 2 weeks left in a course of clindamycin. Clindamycin did improve Wess's condition so we went for an 8 week course
    Wess is given 3.75 mg mirtazapine for appetite every 3 daYS
    Wess gets 750/1000 mg L lysine per day
    I had been trying Maripitant therapy (Cerenia) 8 mg cerenia 5 days on 2 days off, I did notice a slight benifit but decided to think things over before moving forward.
    I use hot towels on wess's eyes and sinus area along with saline instilled in each eye and both nostrils. I also park Wessleberries on the shower room mat and put the hand shower on fog.

The other options we have discussed are and that are listed in Dr Scherk's paper
    pseudo ephedrine 1 mg/kg PO q8h (I get about 8 wedges per 60 mg tablet)
    Paediatric otrivin (.05%xylometazoline) 1 drop in each nostril SID (for 3 days to avoid rebound)
    note: paediatric otrivin doesn't exist any more so I was going to cut adult strength 50% distilled water or saline.

The reasons for my rethinking of the treatment is:
    Wess was misdiagnosed and suffered for 3 months without adequate treatment. I finally saw another vet and he was immediately diagnosed as diabetic.
    the stress from this travesty was considerable and as a result he developed upper resp syndrome. (he had come from a shelter 5 years earlier)
    Wess was given a shot of Convenia and he responded well, the upper resp problems reappeared 14 days later.
    14 day trial of Azithromycin has no effect
    14 day trial of Clindamycin followed by a further 42 days (56 capsules)
    1/4 pill mirtazapine for appetite
    4 cycles of Maripitant therapy 5 days 1/2 16 mg pill with 2 days off x 4
    Wess doesn't pill well and the stress is tremendous (on both of us) He's a strong Maine Coon with harpoons for claws. The effect of the constant pilling was outweighing the benefits of the medication or so I think.

My wife and I are getting better at it and are able to pill him without much effort for the first pill of the day.

My plan was to finish the course of clindamycin and hopefully perfect my pilling technique. Continue the Mirtazapine and possibly include one dose of sudafed per day for a one week trial so long as I can deliver it with minimal aggravation.

This, if it goes according to plan will allow him to live a less stressful life.
    Major questions will be does the pseudoephedrine interfere with the mirtazapine.
    I try and pack all meds other than the clindamycin in a #3 gelatin capsule, can I get the second cap down him.

I've tried the baby food route, put it in his food, the gel cap has been the most successful but still a major source of STRESS.

The trick with the custom pill is the way it's packed. It needs density. Marion and have a procedure. I scruff wess and secure his front paws. Marion opens moth and pops the pill. I take over the mouth and Marion is supposed to take the paws, I usually get a divot ( a big black maine coon harpoon). She takes a syringe with water that I have in my mouth and tries to give him a squirt in the side of his moth.

If we're gentle it works better. I try and keep his chin lower and gently stroke his throat.

Eazy Peazy.................NOT!

If you haven't fallen asleep any comments would be appreciated.

f

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Bonzo is so gorgeous and sounds like quite a handful. While Murphy does have snuffle issues, it seems to be seasonal allergies and thankfully is mostly controlled with twice a day zyrtec. occasionally, he needs a shot of coven - it usually takes about 5 days to work, but thankfully it has always worked. Clindamycin is infamous in human medicine for causing diarrhea (including C. difficile diarrhea) - I would think about a probiotic if he is getting long term clindamycin. Sounds like you are doing everything possible. I am a little shocked that sudafed can be used- those little red pills are so small, it must be difficult to get 8 wedges. Next time you go to vet, I might have them check his blood pressure, since sudafed definitely can increase blood pressure in humans. My cat before Murphy had terrible upper respiratory issues so I feel your pain. I hesitate to bring this up, since I don't really believe in this stuff, but I was so exasperated with my last cat's upper respiratory issues, I bought and used "Easy Breather" Spirit Essence spray from Jackson Galaxy's website (My Cat from Hell fame) I'm so skeptical, but I can't say it didn't help - I also use it for Murphy. It can't hurt (except for your wallet)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.