Anxiety boarding cat and going on trip

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HyperJMA, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HyperJMA

HyperJMA Member

For those who are following..... Mister is doing better, but is having lower BG that we would like during the night!!!
    Check out the SS, I've documented stuff..... I end up staying up all hours of the night to test him. I'm not sleeping well. I'm testing like 15 million times a day....

And here is why I'm stressed out so much --- we are leaving for a trip on Thursday. He is going to be boarded at the vet's office. They will be able to give him his insulin at the normal time, but they won't be there to check on him afterwards! The vet tech comes in at 11 pm to do nightly stuff, but they say he is often too hard to get blood with just one person. I'm so stressed out now that I don't even want to go. I could just tell them to give a smaller amount of insulin since they won't be there to check on him in the middle of the night.

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I would ask them to give a smaller dose at night. I'm sure they would understand.

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Since you are using Prozinc which is more of an "in and out" insulin, you could have the vet clinic do a split/sliding dosing schedule if there is no one able to test at night time. You could have the regular dose of 2.0 units done during the day when there would be someone able to do testing and do a reduced dose for the evening of between 1 unit to 1.50 units, whatever you would feel comfortable with. It appears that Mr M has his nadir (lowest number) around +6 or so which would allow for adequate testing during the day.

Be very specific about how you want the shots done...testing before each shot and mid cycle testing during the day, what food you want fed and how much and when snacks are to be given according to what you do at home and make sure they keep good records so you will have all the data when you are back. Also ask what type of meter they will be using for monitoring. If it is a pet meter then the results will be higher than you normally will get on a human meter, which is normal, You could write all this information down on a card that could be put in the area Mr M will be kept.

I know how traumatic it is to be going away and leaving your precious baby, but if you have good confidence in your vet, Mr M will be in a safe place :bighug:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd ask them to do a smaller shot then for your piece of mind.

5. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Just a random question for you. How much is the vet charging for boarding. I just assumed that life as I know it was over a week ago since I have to make sure she gets her shot every 12 hours. I was just curious. My cat doesn't like the car and I don't want her to think that I abandoned her in a cage somewhere so I don't think I would be able to leave her but if an emergency raised it would be good info to know

6. JanetNJ

I was told it was 107 per day generally... plus a few small fees. We provide the insulin. They provided the d/m food since they had it or we could bring our own fancy feast. BUT, because she had to have her frotusamin (sp?) test done, they considered it a "MEDICAL OBSERVATION" instead. They charged us 58/day x3 even thought it was 48 hours because she was dropped off on the 12th and picked up on the 14th. :/ plus the cost of the tests. So annoying. So it wound up being over $350. Without the testing they were doing it would have only been like $250 total.

Next year our plan is to rent a condo/bungalow down by the ocean (we live in NJ) in a place that allows pets for our vacation. There are some that do... and just take her with us, and have relatives take care of the other cats at home. I think she'll be less stressed coming with us then being stuck at the vet. I wouldn't do the vet thing for longer than a few days though. In the future if we were going somewhere for longer than that and couldn't take her I think I'd hire someone to come to the house and do the shots. I love the idea of taking her with us though.

Mshaas75 likes this.
  7. HyperJMA

HyperJMA Member

Ours was not nearly as expensive at the previous poster. The total for 3 nights the total was $104.

8. JanetNJ

Wow that's a great price

9. JanetNJ

Was that at your vet or a boarding facility

10. HyperJMA

HyperJMA Member

Vet - which boards

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. JanetNJ