? Any advice for Frankie?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue484, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Frankie is on 2.75 units twice a day and gets to where he should do (on AlphaTrak). Trouble is he bounces so much. I don't really want to increase as I know he will go way too low, but should I decrease to try and flatten him out a bit? He will be 2 years diagnosed in April and nowhere near regulation. My vet can't change his insulin, I will need to be referred to the RVC and I have lost all faith in them (diabetes wise at least) The only good thing they did for Frankie was rule out any high dose conditions and change his insulin. They have no clue about nutrition and dosing. Mind you, I did see an oncologist of all people!! I wasn't happy and told my vets so too.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I see your point about lower numbers. What would you think about fattening the dose if you're nervous about a full 0.25u increase?

3. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You've held the dose for quite a while and the numbers are not routinely in a particularly good range. How about if I ask a few others to stop by?

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When Max was very bouncy I started fattening his dose and feeding the curve to prevent him from going under 50 and it really helped. Take a look at his first spreadsheet and tgen 2015. I was able to test a lot, often hourly, and decided what amount of carbs to give at each test.

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I agree with Sienne and Elise - to me it looks like Frankie needs more juice, not less. Fattening is a good approach since you're concerned about him dropping too much on 3.00U.

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I also agree on fattening the dose but I think you ally need to learn to manage the curve to help flatten him out.

Here is a good post on feeding the curve. We will be glad to help you with that if you have questions.

8. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

I too agree on fattening up the dose and keeping Frankie in the desired range with food.

If you can string together longer stretches of numbers in the normal range in this way it may lessen the extreme swings.

9. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I fattened the 2.75 this evening, so let's see where he goes when the bounce clears. I will probably go up to 3 units if he still bounces high. Feeding the curve sounds good but I work all day and have the sitters come in to feed and test at +4. He did have a few days at the tail end of last year when he was in good numbers all the time, then boom, back to all over the place. I thought seeing as he gets into good numbers when the bounces clear that he might need less as I thought you didn't increase on bounces. I feel like a newbie again.

10. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Right, I am going to get the sitter to put out an extra pouch just before she leaves so he can graze during the day. He eats a whole pouch at +4 so won't be hungry and can go back to it. Just hope the other cats don't get to it first. I guess I will put more down for them too.

11. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Or would a higher carb food be better? (But still under 10%)

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

It's a matter of trial and error to find out what food works. Cats are so very different about how they respond to food. It helps to take good notes in his spreadsheet on what you've fed and when. Many people put an * in a cell where they have fed to help with figuring things out.

13. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I could do that but whenever I ask for help, the American's won't be able to read my spreadsheet as it will say error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.