Any advice? WBC high numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stripetetra, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stripetetra

stripetetra New Member

Hi I am looking for any other advice since everyone here has seen so many things with their diabetic kitties. I use to come here a couple of years ago when my kitty was newly diagnosed. I don't think my my question has to do with the diabetes itself but i guess i am not sure. My Puma is at least 15 years old so you know that info. I am not sure if you still require profile info and such but don't have time right this second if you do. I really just need major advice.

A little background info is that he has for the most part done very well and has been on Lantus for about 2 years. I took him to the vet on May 10th just because I needed new prescriptions and he hasn't been there in a long while. He had full bloodwork and everything came back fine for the most part. I don't have the papers in front of me so just telling you what doctor relayed to me. 1 of the kidney numbers came back a little higher but nothing major at all said might have been bacause of food that day and 1 other number came back that somehow related to a possible parasite or allergy was a little higher than normal. After that we continued are normal routine.

On May 17th I noticed he wasn't eating but not totally unusual. I started giving him different flavors of canned food which does the trick most days. Still wouldn't eat by Tuesday so gave him an appetite stimulant the mirtazapine I think is how it's spelled and started syringe feeding him. Wednesday still would not eat on own. Thursday made and appointment at vet. They gave him and antibiotic Clavamox and some fluids to give at home and said if he hasn't started to get better in a couple of days to come blood to recheck blood. By Monday the 24th there was no change so we redid the blood. The vet called with the results on Tuesday. He said everything was good except his white blood count. Not sure what the exact number was but it was at least double what it should have been. He said I could try a new antibiotic and see if that works but he also went over my future options if it didn't like xrays to see if something is growing somewhere it shouldn't and surgery and so on. Well here I am 7 days later with Puma using Baytril. He took the last 1 yesterday am. There is no change. Since the 17th the only food he has had on his own was 2 licks of food on Saturday and Sunday, literally 2 pieces of dry food and a lick of wet today.

The advice I need is this would it be worth it to try another week of antibiotics or maybe a new kind if there are even anymore kinds? Or does it look like my only option is xrays and surgery at this point? I just don't think I can take it on. Any other experiences anyone has had?

I am editing this because I wanted to say the days that he wants to take a lick or 2 of food are the days after I give him the mirtazapine. He actually will stand up and meow when I walk by but I put food in his face he sniffs for a sec may or may not lick and then just looks at me. Does the other food stimulant work differently or better maybe?
    Thank you for all the help!

2. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

My advice is to find out why your cat is not eating, and why his immune system is in overdrive. If there is a financial constraint, consider going straight to an abdominal ultrasound rather than starting with x-rays. You need to do diagnostics ASAP (as in, tomorrow) --throwing antibiotics at this is not going to work.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

The not eating is concerning...he needs to eat. Jess is a vet tech so please heed her guidance. The mirtazapine works on my Phoebe(civie). I do hope Puma will start to eat more and I hope you get it figured out why his WBC count is up. Hugs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.