Any cheap lowcarb high protein canned food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michaellh33, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michaellh33

Michaellh33 Member

I am currently feeding both of my cat wellness chicken and also the turkey but I feed them 2 cans a day. This means I need approximately 60 cans of food for 1 month.
    price = 30.78/24 cans = 1.2825/1 can
    Cats eat 2 cans in 1 day = 60 cans a month
    cost per month = 1.282
    Almost 80 dollars a month on cat food. That is a lot of money for me as I am still a student. Does anyone have suggested brands that are cheaper but still low carb?

Currently I order from chewy.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That is why I switched to Friskies pates after the kitten trio I adopted from my vet 5 years ago were about a year old. I just couldn't keep up with the cost.
    All the regular Friskies pates except mixed grill were less than 10 % calories from carbohydrates. Many come in 13 ounce cans, but the consistency in the 5.5 ounce cans is better.

3. Michaellh33

Michaellh33 Member

I guess I automatically associated anything I could buy at walmart as "bad" cat food and never considered looking into it. Thanks for the post though.

4. SuePea

SuePea Member

Actually, according to the most recent figures from Dr. Lisa, Friskies are actually about 15% carbs. I moved to 9 Lives. They have multiple flavors under 10%. They are high in phosphorus though if your cat's kidneys aren't what they should be.

5. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I use the Friskies pates - all our cats like them and they don't seem to have done Rosa anything but good! I do buy the 5.5 oz cans though - like BJM I find our cats prefer the food out of the smaller cans.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The way I read Dr. Lisa's chart, Friskies pates (except for Mixed Grill) are in the 7-9% range. Special diet Friskies are less. Shreds and gravy flavors are not low carb.

7. SuePea

SuePea Member

when I can get my desktop to cooperate I'll try to link the updated PDF here.

8. Michaellh33

Michaellh33 Member

That would be great. Would really like as much information as I can get. I also appreciate all of the information from everyone.

9. Casie King

Casie King New Member

I have attached the food chart for you.

Attached Files:

10. SuePea

SuePea Member

That's the one, Casie, thanks!!

11. bsmith

bsmith Member

If you look at the Friskies classic pates and the special diet versions, on Dr. Pierson's list, most of them are under 10% (but not all). The special diet versions are much better in phosphorus too.

12. missMeows

missMeows Well-Known Member

I still use wellness core for my kitty even though it's a bit pricey. To help with the cost I order the food through chewy.com. Not saying you should still stick with wellness if you don't want to, but when you find a brand you like, try getting it delivered from there. They have auto ship which also cuts you a discount on the prices that are already pretty reasonable.

13. SuePea

SuePea Member

I just switched food again; this time to the Friskies Special Diet. You will have to go to PetSmart or Petco to get them; grocery stores/WalMart don't carry them.

14. bsmith

bsmith Member

I think that might vary depending on where you live. My local grocery store and Walmart both carry Friskies Special Diet.

15. SuePea

SuePea Member

that could very well be. In fact, in my experience, Walmarts in the same area can vary immensely in what they carry. I didn't check the two bigger, more expensive grocery stores in town but I doubt they'd be any cheaper than at PetSmart. I looked at ordering it from one of those discount pet food web sites and they are twice as much as I paid, plus paying for delivery!

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can check WalMart online and ship to store.
    And you can talk to the person who orders the pet food about getting it, too.

SuePea likes this.
  17. SuePea

SuePea Member

I'll check into that, good idea!

18. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Fancy Feast Clasic is a good wet food, my boys love it.

19. Michaellh33

Michaellh33 Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.