Any ideas on replacement for similar to Hill's c/d (less $)?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GatorsRBst, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

I have 2 cats, one who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. After reading much info, I have been in the process of changing both of their diets to wet food instead of dry. Scamper, my diabetic cat, is enjoying fancy feast classic - yay! Domino, my other sweetie, has a history with Crystals, which is why both cats were eating Hill's C/D (dry) previously. I had a couple cans of the c/d wet that I've been feeding Domino & he seems to like it well enough, but I'm worried about costs. Is there a less expensive, easier to find/purchase wet food that is good for kitties with a history of crystals? Does anyone know of a wet food that would be good for both cats - help with diabetes AND prevent crystals - that I could feed them both?

Thanks for your help and support. It has been invaluable to me in the last week or so since finding out about Scamper's diabetes. I appreciate the advice and thoughtful support you all provide so much!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Re: Any ideas on replacement for similar to Hill's c/d (less

A lot of times, a switch from a dry food diet to a wet food diet can help eliminate the crystals. It's the extra moisture. Adding extra water to the wet food, 1-2 Tablespoons for an applesauce like consistency adds even more water to the diet.

Many people add extra water to the wet food diet for their diabetic cats also. This is so that the cats will urinate more and flush out the kidneys more often. The excess blood glucose levels in the urine create a nutrient rich environment for bacteria to grow. Giving your cat extra water will help to flush out the bladder and kidneys and help to cut down on UTI's (urinary tract inflammation/infection) and kidney issues. If your cat is prone to developing ketones, the extra water helps to flush those out of the system also.

Because cats do not have much of a thirst drive, they often do not drink enough water to compensate for the lack of water in the dry.

This vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson has some good articles on cat nutrition and diseases related to poor nutrition. You may want to read the article on Urinary Tract Health. Feline Urinary Tract Health

A few quotes from that article:
    Bottom line, feed you cat with 'Uninary Crystals" a wet food diet with added water. The same as your diabetic cat receives.

3. Deb & Wink

Shortcut shopping list for food - low carb, low phosphorus wet foods.

4. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

If I wasn't already convinced that wet was the way to go, now I definitely am! I've already switched them over this weekend - extremely easy. They both took to the wet food right away, which I wasn't expecting! :razz:

You gave me such a long list of foods that would work for both cats to choose from, thanks! Friskies is the only thing I've seen in Walmart, Publix, etc., but I'm stopping by a pet store soon to find low carb treats for Scamper & will look for some of the other brands you listed while there as well. Have you priced many of them? Just wondering if you already have an idea for the best choice/least expensive option already.

Thank you so much for the help, information & guidance. I truly appreciate it! :D

5. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

P.S. what does the abbreviation OTJ mean?

6. Deb & Wink

OTJ means off-the-juice meaning no more Insulin or juice is required. Here is the glossary from the Health Links forum glossary

Wink is a diet controlled diabetic. In remission for the last 3 months and still giving me nice BG (blood glucose) number tests once a week. BG 68 this morning. :mrgreen: Go Green!

He got there quickly after I switched him to low carb food and stopped skipping shots. Wink is a foster kitty from my local shelter and had been uncontrolled for about 4 months at the shelter.

He's doing great since he has been fostered with me.

7. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Go Wink (and Deb!)!! That's awesome! I can only hope that Scamper (& Domino) will be helped with a better diet as well. I was nervous to take Domino off the food that had seemed to be working so well for him - no crystals in years since eating the Hill's C/D - but I'm willing to try these other options now, since they seem like they not only may be even better for him but also less pricy!

Thanks for the glossary of abbreviations. I won't seem like such a newbie now! ;-)

8. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

OK, so I know this is a silly question, but I was trying to put my lovie Scamper's picture up like all of you have in your signature & I'm having trouble. Do I go to the change avatar section of the user control panel? Every pic I try to upload there is apparently too big. How do you get a pic to be between 0-9 KiB? That's the message I get - that my picture files are too big. I don't have a single picture anywhere near that - the smallest picture file I can find is 211KB. Help?

9. Deb & Wink

There is a website, shrinkpictures.com that will take any picture you have and shrink it down to avatar size.

Select the Avatar function from the shrinkpictures menu list, over on the left hand side of the screen. Avatar size limit is 90 x 90.

Once you have the picture small enough, downloaded to your computer, it's time to update your user control panel.

User control panel, Profile tab, Edit Avatar from selection list on left hand side of screen, select the picture from where you saved it. click to submit and save. You should see the picture of your kitty in all your posts now.

10. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thanks, Deb. I'll try it now.

11. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

So easy once you tell me how! Thanks so much, Deb!

(Isn't Scamper beautiful?!?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.