any info on bene bac?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

Has anyone used bene bac here? I am thinking of trying it on my diarrhea cat before tyring the metro again. i doubt the bene bac will work since the fortiflora didn't but anyone who has experience with it would be appreicated, also, she is about 9 pounds. how much would i give her? thanks.

2. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: PROBIOTIC

Probiotics help a GREAT deal to balance the good and bad bacteria in the digestive tract. Probiotic really in "general terms" is adding a large dose of "good" bacteria to help the animal's GI environment get back to a healthy state quicker than leaving the animal to do it all by itself. A very large percentage of a dog or cat's immune system is found in the the digestive tract. Every probiotic offers different delivery systems and different bacteria strains and some offer "prebiotics" which is the food for the "good" bacteria. Here are a few to consider:

Fortiflora $23-$30-- heard great feline stories on this one.. can purchase from Vet clinic.
    BeneBac - $6-$14 purchase retail-- -- mainly lactobacillus acidophilus
    NaturVet -$18-- adds enzymes and probiotic (lactobacillus acidophilus)
    Probiocin - adds lactobacillus acidophilus but also enterococcus faecium
    Biodophilus -FOS $30 : probiotic & prebiotic (food for probiotic)
    Rx Biotic -$21: Good blend of probiotic & prebiotics, high count of good bacteria. I've seen it on Vivadrugstro.com Personally this is my favorite. Prebiotic in here really addresses the lining of the GI tract. If the intestinal lining is healthy the animal is able to absorb the nutrients.
    iFlora-?? I've seen this on energeticnutriton.com

Good Luck

3. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

Metro- is an antibiotic that is very commonly prescribed for GI issues in dogs and cats. A probiotic is just a large dose of good bacteria to help keep that bacteria count up. If one probiotic did not work try another.. maybe administer the probiotic at a different time of the day than the metro.. Many times diarrhea is a sign to the owner the food isn't sitting right (not processing rt for that cat) or that other things in the body are not balanced. The goal is to get the body back into balance. If the GI environment is balanced with good and bad bacteria the immune system will have great support to deal with other body issues going on.

without knowing 'what else' is happening/going on with your cat it is hard to say much else.

just curious:
    Why is your cat having diarrhea do you know? is your cat's diabetes under control? are you home testing for blood glucose levels with a BG meter?

Provide more information maybe others can give some advice. : ):) :)

4. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

not sure what you are feeding but a lot have had problems with the gluten in foods causing diarrhea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.