Any insight on Raja's chart?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather and Raja (GA), Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather and Raja (GA)

Heather and Raja (GA) Member

I think she's doing good but does anyone have any insight on what I could or need to do differently?

I give her half a can of tuna when I give her insulin and I know I need to stop that, I know fish isn't the best to eat like that but I do also put out 2 cans of friskies pate food and she does eat some of that throughout the day.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

personally i think it looks really good. and it looks like she's slowly working herself back to where she was for years.....don't want to say it outloud so nothing gets jinxed :)

3. Heather and Raja (GA)

That's what I was thinking too, I'm just afraid to get my hopes up

4. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Hi, Heather ~

How exciting! You're doing a great job with Raja, Heather.

I'd like to thank you for doing the video on blood draws from Raja's paw. Our cat Butters has very frayed ears from frost bite and injuries suffered while outdoors before he came to us. It's very difficult to draw blood from his ears, and he sometimes reacts as though it's painful. We've tried drawing blood from one of his front paws, but he freaked out. Maybe we'll try again using your method. We refuse to shoot blind. You're using just the lancet not the lancing device, right? What gauge lancets are you using? Thanks again.

Eva

5. Heather and Raja (GA)

Raja didn't like her front paws touched, she tolerated her back paws SO much better. Depending on how tolerant Butters is you might try just cuddling him in your lap on his back and touching his back paws, maybe touch his paw with the covered lancet...just get him used to it before you prick his paw. It took a few months for Raja to be that 'nice' when I draw her blood. I had to have help holding her down in the beginning.

Ohh and just like the ears the paws 'learn to bleed'

I've tried the pen before and it doesn't seem to prick her far enough to draw blood so I just use the lancet by itself. I am not sure what gauge the lancet is, I use just whatever it cheaper at wal-mart I've never paid attention to the gauge but I will in the future.

I've noticed that she likes it better when I put her in my lap, I guess she feels more secure than if I just get her to lay on her back on the bed or floor.

6. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Thanks for telling me more about how you do Raja's blood draws, Heather. My husband definitely wants to try your method. Do you put Neosporin on Raja's paw after drawing blood?

Eva

7. Heather and Raja (GA)

No I haven't ever tried neosporin because the first thing she would do is lick it off. She's never gotten an infection, and you can tell from her chart she's been stuck a lot of times. I just use alcohol wipes on her back paws (ohh and I go ahead and clean both at the same time just in case I can't draw blood from the first one I try, that way it saves a little time)

8. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Her numbers look great! I don't want to jinx either, but it looks like she wants to go off insulin again. I think the WB litter was definitely your problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.