Any magic tricks for liquid antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Islandmomma, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

My civvie Thompson had a dental extraction for a broken tooth last week. He broke it in an epileptic seizure. He ended up with an infection a few days after and had to have it cleaned out and put it on liquid antibiotics. The vet told me that we could doesn't taste very good so getting the antibiotics and has been a big struggle. Poor kitty is super stressed when it comes to antibotic time so I'm just wondering if anybody has magic tricks for making med administration time more pleasant for him and me!

He doesn't really want anything to do with me at this point even when I try to pet him or anything. It's very sad!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Are you using a syringe? An eye dropper?
    I find a syringe works better.
    However, I get meds in pill/capsule form and usually piut them into a gel cap and use a pill gun.

3. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

I'm using a syringe...

4. Larry and Kitties

What problem(s) are you having?
    Spitting the meds out?
    What specific med? Some meds taste terrible.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You could try giving a chaser with a second syringe filled with (a) a bit of water, (b) a bit of tuna water (make sure the tuna is packed in water, not broth which has onions), (c) a small amount of cat food gravy or sauce.

6. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

It's clindamycin. Ya he spits it out. Having a hard time getting his little mouth open :(

7. Larry and Kitties

Clindamycin tastes terrible. My vet said to add some artificial sweetener and to refrigerate it.

8. Milo and Phyllus

Milo and Phyllus Member

Shoot it over the hump of the tonge so he doesnt taste it as much. I grip the head covering the eyes and use the syringe to open mouth at the side and deposit meds as far back in the mouth as possible..behind where they curl the tongue to a hump.

9. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh clindamycin liquid is AWFUL! They make a tiny pill that may be available thru your human pharmacy. None of mine can take the liquid, they foam, they gag, they throw up, they won't eat...YUCK! I feel bad for you....but it's a good med.

HUGS

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your vet might be able to get you a pill. My dental vet gave me the choice of liquid or pill for clindamycin. I squirted it along the side of the mouth, trying to miss the taste buds on the tongue.

11. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I've just had to syringe painkillers in the local stray's mouth. You need to figure out the best way to hold him first. For Frankie and his painkillers I cradle him like a baby but the stray won't do that. I have to have him standing on my knee with one hand around his throat (not tight obvs!!) The syringing is the same - put the syringe in the side of the mouth up to the clenched teeth then squirt a little bit. He has to open his mouth to swallow and then you insert the syringe a bit more and squirt a bit more etc until it is all gone.

12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I vote for a pill and put that in a gel cap dabbed with butter---who doesn't like butter?
    :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.