Any thoughts about using Cerenia to adjust diet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenni, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenni

Jenni Member

So my kitty, Smudges, is a lifetime kibble eater. He really does not want to eat wet food at all. Since a possible hypo episode last Friday he just refuses to even go near it. I backed off and have been trying different FF flavors just mixing a small amount in with the kibble but he just keeps vomiting it up. I was thinking about possibly trying Cerenia to see if that will have keep the food in. That is, if I can even get him to eat any of it. Tried the parmesan cheese trick and he loves the cheese but the wet food? Not so much.

I really want to switch him over to a low carb wet food but his tummy has always been sensitive and he just can't keep it down. Currently have him on 1.25 units of Lantus so I'm wondering if Cerenia is safe and if it is appropriate to use in this situation. Still waiting for my vet to return my call but that is like pulling teeth.

Any thoughts?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I would not use Cerenia to try to convert him to wet food. I'd look at the ideas on Cat Info and try those.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If you get stuck there is a product called Young Again Zero Carb dry food (c 5%) that might be a stop-gap if the switch to wet starts looking like a long haul.

I love Smudges' avatar picture. You have given him the perfect name for him. :)

4. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

FreshPet has a "in-between" refrigerated kibble. The content is similar to wet food, but slightly drier, and it's shaped like a kibble. It's lower in carbs than dry foods, and ingredients seem to be OK, at least for a transition. This is the only "wet" food my kibble addict will touch. It's a little bit expensive for full-time feeding, but might be good for getting your cat used to a softer texture.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

When you say he throws it up what do you mean? He regurgitates it straight away? He eats too quickly? It makes him feel sick? Is he allergic to something in particular?

I feed remi small meals spread over a wide area as this slows him down.

6. Jenni

Jenni Member

thank you so much for the good suggestions. Smudges has always had a sensitive stomach. He is not very interested in wet food but when I can actually get him to taste it regardless of how small the amount is he will vomit it up shortly after eating it. He then goes straight to the kibble and eats what he likes. Remarkably I was able to get him to eat some wet food each day during the first week of his diagnosis (last week). Then he had what I believe was a hypo episode and since then he just does not want to have anything to do with wet food. I've tried reducing the amount of wet and mix it with kibble and sprinkle a bit of parmesan on it but he just doesn't want it.

I did try a quarter tab of cerenia this morning and he is even less interested in wet food then he was yesterday. He seems to not be feeling great this evening. I plan to do a test pretty soon here. He is resting comfortably right now and I hate to disturb him because getting the blood is getting more difficult. He does not want to cooperate with me. I'm just at my wits end with trying to get him interested in wet food and then keeping it in his stomach.

I have the next few days off of work and hope to get some midday readings to find out his Nadir. I realize this is all new and can take some time but I really want to get him switched over to wet food to see if that will make a difference. I just don't understand why his tummy is so disagreeable to it even in the smallest amount.

Thanks critter mom, I don't think I could come up with a more appropriate name for him. I just love his sweet little smudged up face.

7. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Why not just go for the young again zero carb dried food then? He will hopefully accept that okay

https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/10browse.asp?ProductCode=92100&category=cats

Any food changes need to be done gradually to prevent upset tummy's and if you. Do switch to that it has a lot less carbs so you need to be testing more to check he doesn't go very low and then reduce the insulin if he needs less.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If he is nauseous, an appetite stimulant alone won't work; he'll need something for nausea, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.