Any thoughts on catnip?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris & Queenie, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & Queenie

Chris & Queenie Member

Good Morning!

I am pretty new here, been doing Lantus about three weeks and have joined the Lantus Forum. Things yesterday were going amazingly well for Queenie. Last night around +4 her number was at 51. I did not panic, but tested two more times, gave her a snack of her low carb food and she began rising. So when she still seemed a little hungry as I was heading to bed I gave her a little catnip. Much to my surprise this AM at +10 she was at 321! I routinely offer catnip as a distraction to my herd. Is it possible this could contribute to this sudden jump or is it just another bounce after 2 days of relative stable numbers?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Could be a bounce from the low after yesterdays PM shot.
    I do not think the catnip drove it high

Chris & Queenie likes this.
  3. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Larry is likely right... it was probably a bounce after those low and BEAUTIFUL numbers. However, any stimulation such as vigorous play, watching a squirrel in the yard, seeing another kitty outside, and even the stimulation from a favorite catnip toy can cause a temporary rise in numbers.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I routinely give Saoirse a catnip toy to soothe her discomfort from pancreatitis (it purportedly has a mildly analgesic effect). Catnip has a calming effect on her in general (i.e. it doesn't stimulate play or other energetic behaviours). I have not seen any evidence of it adversely affecting her BG levels.

5. Blamethecats and Hannah

Chris, here's an interesting little article on catnip. It's a quick read and pretty much says that the magic of catnip has different effects on different kitties. It was good to see that Queenie's magenta numbers turned into yellow, then nice blues as the day progressed. Best wishes.:cat:

Chris & Queenie and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Chris & Queenie

Chris & Queenie Member

Thanks very much Carole ! I just love your user name :) Brilliant!

I think it's funny they mention growing catnip....as if! I seriously doubt the plants would survive long in my rden with a

7. Blamethecats and Hannah

I have one very nice catnip plant that does quite well and that surprises me. We live in a rural area and used to have several cats roaming our yard. Over the years, they have disappeared, so that probably explains why the plant survives. Now the only kitty I notice out there is our neighbors' indoor/outdoor kitty and he apparently doesn't possess the catnip gene. Simon walks by that bush like it's not even there. The wild rabbits, on the other hand, love catnip. I had another bush in a more remote area of our lawn and they ate the thing right down to the ground.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

My cat has been treated for diabetes for 1 year this month. She is a real lover of catnip and I have never seen a spike in blood sugar with its use. Good luck from jane and stewey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.