Anybody Giving B12 Orally for Diabetic Neuropathy in Additional to Shots??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Viveca and Noah, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

My cat Noah, has been getting B12 shots (cyanocobalamin) for a couple of years for IBD/anemia - currently at 2.5ml 2x/month. Lately, he's showing some neuropathy in his back legs; I've heard that oral supplementation of B12 (methylcobalamin) has been useful for cats with early/early-ish diabetic neuropathy. I'm wondering if anyone is using it with any success and, if so, how much. And, is anyone giving shots on top of that? Thx

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A lot of people give the oral form for diabetic neuropathy because it's the different form of B-12 than the injectable. The Zobaline for Cats is highly recommended and has done some pretty miraculous things for our sugarcats

Here's a video of just how far back they can come! It doesn't happen overnight, but it can really help!

3. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Thanks for the info, Chris.

4. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Unfortunately, Noah's folic acid was really elevated a couple of tests ago (IBD). It's since come down to normal range, but I have to be really careful not to add extra. I just started giving him B12, alone - Doctor's Best 'Best Fully Active B12' 1500mcg, 1/2 a day. I'm also trying to do some leg strengthening exercises with him - #8 "wheelbarrow", so far. http://www.amcny.org/sites/default/files/pdf/10_Exercise_Tips_for_Cats.pdf

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Viveca and Noah -

Thank you so much for posting the link to that kitty workout! :D

I can't get Saoirse to play much right now to give her some exercise and I've been at a complete loss about what to do for her. There are a number of things on your workout sheet that look like possibles. I'm going to try them with her.

Kwestion for you: I see from your signature that you're giving Noah CoQ10. I'm thinking of giving Saoirse ubiquinol as a supplement. I'd be very interested to hear from you why you're giving the supplement and any positive changes you've seen in your little fella. Brilliant avatar photo, BTW! I'm tempted to poke out my tongue back at him each time I see it. :)

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

I hope the workout helps:)

As for the CoQ10, I give it to Noah as an antioxidant general preventive measure, so it's hard to say if it's helped the diabetes at all. It's supposed to be good for the heart and I can say that Noah's heart is in outstanding condition - knock wood. It can raise the liver enzymes, sometimes, so it's not for every cat; I would definitely discuss it with your vet, first, if you'd like to try it with Saoirse. BTW, only a small amount is appropriate for cats. The smallest dose I've been able to find in stores is 25 mgs. It's a gel cap and I squirt about 1/3 to 1/2 on his food.

7. Critter Mom

Hi Viveca,

Thanks for the CoQ10 info, especially the flag about liver enzymes. I have to watch that with Saoirse because her pancreatitis is affecting her liver (proximity) and her numbers were slightly out in the last blood panel she had. I'll chat with our vet about it.

For info, here's a link to the Mercola pet version of their ubiquinol supplement that I have been looking at for Saoirse.

Mogs

8. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Interesting link. Thx

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

What about Krill oil? It's got anti-inflammatory properties but can also help neuropathy. I take the stuff, and it's done wonders for me. For Dottie's sore mouth before the surgery I used to cut open a capsule, and apply just a drop, and a small drop at that, to her food. She didn't seem to mind the taste. Only thing is, like many nutrients it can take up to 8 weeks before the results can be seen. Perhaps that time frame would be less for a tiny cat? Not sure

I know there are sprays available for dogs and cats, but they're pricey. Still, the dose Noah would get would be calibrated. And the darn stuff sure works for me on this old body.

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link!

Critter Mom and Viveca and Noah like this.
  11. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Thanks for the krill oil tip! I know krill oil is excellent stuff. Actually, Noah already currently takes salmon oil 3 times a week as part of his raw diet. I guess I forgot to list it in my signature.

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

There are two types of B12, cyanocobalamin, it and methylcobalamin. Most of injectibles are cyanocobalamin. It does not work well for neuropathy. Methylcobalamin (Methyl B12) is better absorbed and what we recommend for neuropathy. It is usually given orally.

13. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

I see Colin takes Zobaline. Does he take it for diabetic neuropathy, by chance? If so, has it made a difference?

14. Sharon14

Yes he takes it for neuropathy. It hasn't made a great difference yet, but until recently, his BG numbers have stayed so high-300-400's! So I've been told that I have to get that under control to see a big difference. He walks around on his hocks, but gets around ok. He uses pet stairs to get on the bed and sofa. Im on the 2nd bottle now, maybe he'd be much worse if he wasn't getting the Zobaline. Also I was late in starting it, because I didn't realize what it was or that there was a treatment.

Viveca and Noah likes this.
  15. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Thanks for the follow up. Noah does get cyanocobalamin shots 2/x months for IBD/anemia. I just added methycobalamin capsules (open up/sprinkle on food) last week and hoping to see results. The only thing I'm not completely sure of is the dose. The capsules are 1500mcg, which I divide in 2. I'm not sure if 750mcg is an effective dose or not. Any insights?

16. Sharon14

Zobaline is 3 mg. not sure how many mcg's that is...

17. Critter Mom

If you look at the product info on the Zobaline website, Viveca, it gives you the amount of methyl B12 in their formulation. You could use that as a basis for calculation of how to divide the dose in your capsules.

Mogs

18. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Good idea, Mogs!

19. Critter Mom

I'm full of 'em. ;)

(Doesn't seem to do me any good, mind. :p)

20. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

I see Noah's got his very own emoji :p

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Critter Mom

So he has! Excellent. :cat:

22. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I think @Darkside's Grandma has had great success with zobeline….
    Adequan injections are great for arthritis--- I don't know about neuropathy tho….

23. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Noah must be toothless too, huh? He is adorable!

24. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

No, he has all his teeth. :D He just likes to stick his tongue out, now and then, for some reason. Dottie is beautiful, too.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  25. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

So far her tongue has managed to stay in her mouth. I keep wondering of the faces she makes when she eats, is because she's biting her tongue. It might hurt her more than the toothless gumming she gave me yesterday, when she attempted to bite me.

Critter Mom and Viveca and Noah like this.
  26. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

I guess I'm lucky Noah still has all his teeth. I make the vet clean and scale them thoroughly at least twice a year. Come to think of it, my cat has better dental care than I do.

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:DWell, babies first, then Moms take care of themselves. Poor Dottie. If I had the vet give her anesthesia twice a year I would have lost her. She does horribly on many meds. Only reason I can think of is that she was so sick when we got her. Hubby and I used to volunteer at our local SPCA and she wasn't thriving there. Kept getting sick over and over. So when I took home another kitten to nurse, who was not doing well, I brought her along home as well.

Viveca and Noah and Critter Mom like this.
  28. Critter Mom

Noah even has his own emoticon:

:p

29. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

That's wonderful, Jeanne, that you've given Dottie such a great home after shelter life. Shelter's are the way to go. Noah was a shelter rescue, too, from Bideawee, down in the city. I'm sorry Dottie doesn't do so well on meds. From her pic, it's clear she's thrived under your care. With Noah, every time he goes for a checkup, he becomes so scared and aggressive (normally a very mellow cat) that it's unsafe to take blood without a sedative (which can be immediately reversed when the checkup's finished). I take advantage of that time to have his teeth cleaned.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.