Anyone heard that canned food is linked to hyperthyroidism??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ele & Blackie (GA), May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

That's been around for a while, they used to blame Fancy Feast can tops. Also there's been talk about flame retardent furniture/carpets, the dust from that causing HyperT.

I've had many hyperts in my life. Three were from the same family, mom and litter. Two were from before I fed canned food, so I personally don't see a connection with canned and hypert.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yeah i'd heard quite a while ago that there was speculation about canned food but i think the latest research shows it may be tied to flame retardants in our household items like couches, rugs, curtains, etc.....because our cats are fat and lazy and lay around in the stuff all day :)

personally, i've yet to see a rug or a couch survive a big house fire so why even put that crap in our stuff????

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Yep, I heard about it some time back, asked my vet, and she said that the risk is not all that great, so I really haven't thought about it since.

5. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I've only had one hyper T cat, so I didn't really know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.