Anyone switched from Vetsulin to Lantus/Basaglar

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bryan & Princess, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

My vet started Princess on Vetsulin, but after reading the warnings on Vetsuline;

In a field effectiveness and safety study, safety data was reported for 78 cats receiving vetsulin®. Hypoglycemia (defined as blood glucose < 50 mg/dL) was reported in 61 cats (88 total incidences). Fifteen of the occurrences (involving 13 cats) were associated with clinical signs described as lethargy, diarrhea, decreased appetite/anorexia, vomiting, and hypothermia. One cat had seizures following accidental overdosing by the owner and again during the subsequent dose adjustment period.

Found here: http://www.vetsulin.com/PDF/Vetsulin-Canine-Tech-Bulletin.pdf

Then reading the remission rates for Lantus/Basaglar and other insulines seem to be A LOT HIGHER than Vetsulin.

Then finding that I can get Lantus/Basaglar cheaper than Vetsulin if I order it from Canada I seem to be sold on Lantus or Basaglar (which is the generic of Lantus correct)

Beyond the stricter 12 hour schedule, is there anything else I should consider before making a change??? or reasons why changing would be bad?

Still struggling with my kitties numbers (see spreadsheet link in signature), I think in part its the Vetsulin has lost effectiveness from me leaving it out the first day I got it (although it was still in 73 degree temps or better)

Thanks, Bryan & Princess

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's not a true "generic"....it's what they call a bio-similar but I tested it on China and it worked the same way as Lantus did on her and we follow the same rules for dose adjustments for both.

When you're ready to change, we'll be able to give you a better idea of how much to start with. When switching from one insulin to another, we do take into consideration the dose they've already been getting.

We've had a lot of people switch from Vetsulin to Lantus and I can't think of one that wasn't happy they did it

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hi Bryan!
    I switched my buddy Lou from Vetsulin to Basaglar Memorial Day weekend (May 25th, to be specific). While he's developed a tendency to bounce after lows, I've been happy with how he's been reacting. Much better so far than his reaction on Vetsulin before the switch. The bouncing is so annoying, but it won't last forever. :cool:

The thing I liked the most about Vetsulin, was the freedom to change shot times and/or doses when necessary. I really thought I wouldn't be able to make a depot insulin work with the strict scheduling, but it hasn't actually been that hard. It's been easier than I thought and it's been a true joy to see Lou surfing in the blues and even seeing greens!

I personally went with the Basaglar over Lantus because it was a lot cheaper ($40 to $50 less) than the Lantus. It seems worthwhile and I haven't noticed anything different from how it acts versus others experiences. I figured at worse if it doesn't work that well or if Lou didn't react well to it, I could always change to Lantus afterwards. Win win. :D

4. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Marie&HerCats RUSTY Member

Once again I'm where Bryan & Princess are in terms of thinking about changing insulin.
    I've changed dosing from 5/6 & 7/8 units over course of 2 months. Right now with guidance from Main Forum (thanks JanetNJ!) holding at .75 units to "skinny" 1 unit
    Rusty's numbers more consistent, it seems, but still in high 200,s to low 300's
    He has also developed weakness in his back legs. He still has a head tilt, confusion "locating" food not directly under his nose and slowness since July 2017 s vestibular syndrome diagnosis. But leg weakness is new.
    Afraid it's neuropathy from being able to manage BG effectively.
    How do I know when to switch?
    How to I switch?
    Is leg weakness sign Vetsulun not working?
    Might need to switch vets

5. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so happy that I switched my little guy from Vetsulin to Lantus. The hardest part of the switch was learning how to manage a depot insulin because it's very different. Good luck to you and your furry one!

Marie&HerCats RUSTY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.