anyone using carbimazole for hyper-T?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by laur+danny+horde, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

does anyone here have any experience with carbimazole? My understanding is that it has fewer and milder side effects than the methimazole. I read that it may need to be dosed TID at first.

thanks,
    laur

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Thanks so much for that info. Did a bit more research and wound up confused. http://www.fabcats.org/owners/hyperthyroidism/info.html indicates that Vidalta (the long acting medication) is carbimazole. Also that the recently approved Felimazole is the same thing as methimazole. I have a call in to the vet to figure things out.

If I can get away with just giving one pill a day to Venture, that would be great. He's a stray I saw collapsed under a bush about a week or two ago. Venture is a maine coon-ish boy with extra toes, but he's not keen on being handled. But he doesn't feel well so some irritation is to be expected. He's very thin with hyper-t and CRF and terrible teeth, but thank goodness, he's snarfing down the low-phosphorus wet food. No one called animal control about losing him, can you believe it? I'm hoping I can get him fat and happy and adopted out.

laur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.