? Anything besides the dreaded E Collar

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barri & Sonny, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

My boy Sonny had paw issues a few weeks back (you can go back and read my previous threads!) Anyway, he was put in the E Collar for a week, then it was able to come off and the paw was healing. Now he is licking it too much and made the scab bleed. I put the collar back on and he hates me now!! Can i put anything on his paw so i dont have to have him wear this awful thing? Injury was on his paw pad. Thanks

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

What type of e-collar are you using? When my Bengal boy hurt his leg his vet gave me a flatter, clear, e-collar with a padded collar opening. It was SO much better than the more conical, opaque one!!! He had to wear an e-collar for a little over a month, and he found this one much more acceptable. He hated me a little less, and forgave me a little sooner, lol. :)

Sparkle and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There are several other options other than the traditional large "lampshade" hard e-collars

There are smaller, soft collars like the Kong EZ collar and there are round ones like the Kong Cloud Collar...they also make ones you "blow up" and are round like the cloud collar

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I had similar success when, after her recent op, Saoirse was given the same type of collar as Lucy describes above. There was none of the trying to reverse out of it that she used to do with the opaque ones.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Ohhh that soft collar is good! :cat:Much more stylish..we all know how much cats hate looking like they stuck their heads in a lampshade.:mad: That tomfoolery is for DOGS and their Cone Of Shame!

Sonny doesn't hate you. He hates the collar;) You, he loves. :joyful:

Squalliesmom, Sparkle and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Got him the Kong Cloud collar...soft...less of a lampshade...he still hates it...but i cant have his paw get infected again. It 20160304_085632.jpg comes off for eating and throughout the day. He just has to deal

7. Squalliesmom

Is that one of the inflatable ones? They are very nice. I tried two of them on my Bengal before I had to give up and go back to the hard plastic ones - he kept tearing holes in them with his back feet. :( They are so much better than the hard one, though, wish he would have been able to wear it.

8. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

It is the inflatable...i dont know if it will work though because i feel he can still get at the paw....will have to see

9. Squalliesmom

It's amazing, isn't it, the contortions they will go through? My fat little Bengal would basically just FOLD HIMSELF IN HALF to get at the heel of his hind leg, while wearing an e-collar! I didn't know any cat, and especially one as fat as he is, could get into some of the positions he managed, lol!

ja9390 and Critter Mom like this.
  10. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Well, this is Sonnys right front paw...dont know until i actually see him do it. I just HATED the lampshade hard cone! If you remember my previous threads about the catastrophe that started with his paw injury...I will not have a repeat!!

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What about a doggie shoe to put on his foot. That with the collar should do the trick. And hopefully he won't pull shoe off because he can't get to it with color on.

12. Critter Mom

13. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

We haven't gotten the lampshade hard ones in years, we always get the soft blue ones. I call them their "blue bonnet". Smokey would get through them and be wearing it like a skirt when we'd get home :rolleyes: I've heard good things about the inflatable. I hope you can get him to stop liking the foot. Could you get a long sock and cut a hole so that it somehow comes up the leg and over his back and then loop hole around and under the other leg to hold it on?

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Havent thought of that! Good idea!!

sherrib likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

Out with the cone and in with the Doughnut of Shame! :smuggrin:

(Sorry, Barri. I really do feel sorry for Sonny's predicament ( :bighug: ) but I just couldn't resist the one-liner. :oops: :) )

Fingers and paws crossed that Sonny's paw heals really quickly now that he can't worry at it.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Critter Mom

:D

The Tutu of Shame?

(I'll get me coat ...) :oops:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Haha YES!! The donut of Shame!! How is Saiorse doing Mogs??

18. DaisyPaws

DaisyPaws Member

If you're still struggling with this, try the PawFlex MediMitt bandages.
    They have them on Amazon.
    It's basically a little, sterile pouch that you slip over the foot and then wrap with Velcro around the ankle. Your cat will mess with it, but probably won't be able to get to the foot.
    Also, we had a cat years ago who panicked every time we put any sort of cone on him. We ended up going with a baby bib when we were home with him. Every time he would go for his stitches, the bib would flop in the way. He wasn't the brightest cat (sweet thing!) but he never did figure it out.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

Thank you for asking about Saoirse and I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you, Barri. Saoirse's doing better than this time 2 weeks ago (not hard) but up and down. Constipation and hydration problems (med to help motility tends to lower hydration levels :(). The swelling went down in her eye area, the d-mannose helped the UTI issues and the fur is regrowing on her beautiful little face.

How are you and Sonny getting on, Barri? Has his paw healed properly now? I really hope it has.

:bighug:

Mogs

20. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Yes! Thanks Mogs...his paw is healing nicely now...now getting his bg under control again!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Critter Mom

That's great news, Barri. I'm really pleased for you both. :cat::bighug:

Mogs

22. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have used the blow up collars and the cats seem to do better with them.

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

..a tutu...HAHAHAHA!:D Now I can't get a picture of that outta my head.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.