? Apoquel for IBD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kattl8y, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kattl8y

kattl8y New Member

Hi, it's been awhile since I've been here but I am in need! Has anyone had their kitty on Apoquel? I understand it's only approved for dogs and rarely used with cats. If you have, I'd love to hear about your experience with it. My Jack is 10 and was diagnosed with diabetes a couple years ago. He recently lost his appetite and was vomiting. After having 2 x-rays about a week apart followed by am ultrasound the Dr thinks he has IBD. At this point she has suggested steroids or Apoquel, as it shouldn't interfere with his bg. He was on a short course of pred and although he drove me nuts meowing for food all the time, his vomiting stopped. He wasn't eating the hypoallergenic food yet. I put him on that but he's been vomiting that up.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

kattl8y likes this.
  3. kattl8y

kattl8y New Member

Have you had any issues with side effects?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've never used it for my kitty. I was tagging a member who has.

kattl8y likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

You can ask about budesonide. It can work for IBD and doesn't affect the BG's.

kattl8y likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Injectable B12 (Cyanocobalamin version), I have heard this helping IBS/IBD kitties too :). Slippery Elm Bark can also have benefits for GI issues. I'm still learning about this one.

kattl8y likes this.
  7. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

My little guy has many of the symptoms of IBD and my vet thinks this may explain his difficulties with eating. I have not tried any of the prescriptions or had the tests done to confirm the diagnosis.

In my experience, diet is the foundation for helping my kitty feel better. In the last eight months or so I've been giving Radar raw meals. Right now it makes up about 50% of his diet and I've seen a significant improvement in his symptoms. My vet confirmed that this is an excellent choice for an IBD cat. It is important, though, if you decide to give it a try, that you get a complete diet with all the essentials like RadCat. Don't just go to the grocery store and get raw meat.

I've also found that weekly B12 injections really help my little guy with eating and I'd much rather do that than give an appetite stimulant.

The last thing I will offer to you is that when my kitty shows signs of an upset tummy, I put a little slippery elm bark in a teaspoon of babyfood and that usually helps him feel better pretty quickly and return to eating.

I hope you are able to find some solutions that help your kitty feel better soon.

kattl8y likes this.
  8. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi - Murphy has had quite significant seasonal allergies (hay fever) in the past - he was started on apoquel about 15 months ago to use in conjunction with zyrtec. You are correct, it was developed as an antipruritic drug in dogs, where it was highly successful. My impression is that there is a lot of off label use.
    It works great in Murphy - for his nasal congestion. I noticed no ill effects at all. Initially I started at 1/2 pill twice a day, then got it down to 1/2 pill once a day. Now I only give it if his congestion is bad.
    I have not noticed any ill effects - no effect on blood sugar. Unfortunately, he also has IBD and I never made any connection on using it for appetite stimulation. I have backed off giving it every day. I'm not aware that it is being used for IBD. Murphy has a vet appointment tomorrow and I will ask the vet about it.
    The miracle drug for Murphy's IBD related vomiting is cerenia - when he isnt' eating, I give ondansteron and cyproheptadine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.