Are these numbers safe? I'm exhausted.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ryn & Grayson, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

Hi guys.

I increased Grayson's dose to 1.5 units this evening. I am wondering if these numbers are safe (7.7 mmol/L or 139 mg/dl) for the next 5 and a half hours... I'm exhausted and definitely ready for bed. This is the lowest he has been and rose .3 mmol/L (6 mg/dl) in an hour. His energy level is pretty low and he's been in and out of napping for the past few hours.

Thanks!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

So 139 at +7? He should be fine. We don't think about intervening until they are in the 50s. You can always leave out some food if you are worried. If he'd drop lower, he could eat and being himself up. But it isn't likely that he would drop anymore - he should be on the way up.

Robin&BB likes this.
  3. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

Thanks, Sue! Some reassurance makes me feel a bit more confident he'll be fine. He is 139 at +6

I took a couple allergy pills and they hit me so hard, I'm like the walking dead over here!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see Grayson with his handsome blue suit on tonight!! :cool::cool::cool:

Robin&BB and Critter Mom like this.
  5. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

This is when "having the blues" is a good thing! Go, Grayson! Sorry you're exhausted, Ryn - have a good sleep!:bighug:

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's one of the perverse aspects of the regulation process, Ryn: we want to see our little ones in better numbers but when we first see them it can scare the bejeebers out of us. :)

Grayson's responding really well to his insulin. If his AMPS is on the low side in the morning, I'd suggest posting for advice about dosing.

Wishing you a refreshing - well-deserved - kip. :bighug:

Mogs

7. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Wow, Mogs ... that is SO true!

8. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

Hi again, AMPS is at 17.7 mmol/L (319 mg/dl) - this is a safe number to shoot 1.5 units?

EDIT: Just gave him 1.5 Units. I'll check him again when I wake up. Back to bed! :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  9. Critter Mom

Hi Ryn,

Drop us a note with the next test result when you can.

10. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

He read at 11 (198) at +4.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

A general range might be helpful, Ryn. We generally consider a cat regulated if the are in the mid 200s at pre shot and in double digits at nadir (5-7 hours after the pre shot). Those are US values. If they are in the 50s at nadir, then we might intervene with food, bringing up the levels. If the values are dropping in general, you might drop your dose a smidge. Your Canninsulin could give you a smile curve, if it lasts long enough. A preshot, then a gradual drop to nadir and a slow rise back up to the pmps in the same general range as the amps.

It would be very helpful if you'd set up a spreadsheet. We have a World version which allows you to put in your metric values and for us to view them in US values. The instructions are here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

13. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

Arg... We went out tonight after his PM shot, we just got in and I tested him, and he is as low as 5.8 (104) (!!!!) at +5.5. I had some food left out for him for when we were gone and he ate it. Just fed him a little bit again for the night. The increasingly lower numbers are starting to worry me and I'd really like to go down to 1.25 units but I can't see it on the syringe. I don't have the money right now to get different syringes :( I'm hoping I'm freaking out over nothing and he's just adjusting, but it seems like every time I test him it's lower than ever.

14. Critter Mom

When you draw up the 1.5 unit dose can you see daylight between the edge of the plunger and the 1.0 unit mark on the syringe?

granadilla likes this.
  15. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

104 is good!! See Sue's post above where she mentioned that cats are considered regulated when they're in double digits 5-7 hours after pre shot. 104 is a great safe number! As long as he doesn't go down below 50 you're in good shape. Obviously you don't want to get too close to 50, but these are good numbers.

Ryn & Grayson likes this.
  16. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

Sorry, I'm not sure if I follow what you mean. The syringes are U40.

17. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

We're at 11.5 (207) AMPS this morning. I don't think I feel comfortable shooting this number, at least with 1.5 units. My vet told me my no-shoot limit was 5 - 16. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I'm going to try for 0.5 units and hopefully this is okay... I will be around to check his +4 or +5.

18. Critter Mom

No sweat, Ryn. I was just trying to determine what the syringe looked like with the dose drawn up to see if I might be able to guide you to shaving the dose a little. However, seems events have overtaken us ...

AMPS 11.5!!! Go Grayson. :)

Given that you're able to monitor all day, trying the 0.5IU dose will hopefully be OK. I would definitely start checking BG from +2 onwards; sooner if Grayson suddenly starts looking for food (check BG immediately if he does).

Looking at Grayson's recently much-improved numbers, I would set a fairly high no-shot limit (11.5 or 12.0) and even in the lower part of that range I'd only give a tiny dose if I was able to monitor throughout the cycle, certainly till I knew what that dose was doing. If in any doubt, with such a harsh insulin as Caninsulin (and assuming no ketones) I'd be inclined to skip if I could not monitor. Other members may have different suggestions.

Numbers aside, how is Grayson doing in himself? That's the most important thing. You're doing wonderfully with him, Ryn. :bighug:

Mogs

granadilla likes this.
  19. Ryn & Grayson

Ryn & Grayson Member

Thank you so much, Mogs! So next time when he is at 11.5, I should hold off? He's 10.9 at +4 today.

As for Grayson, he's doing quite well and I kind of envy his living situation ;) We call it his assisted living retirement care, haha. He gets fed when he wants (with a prick of the ear first, of course), using his box 100% of the time now, and he's pees have gone from oceans to a more normal size. Jim thinks this whole living-with-a-cat thing is hilarious and laughs at the conversations Grayson and I have in the morning and before feeding time - I like to think that being able to speak cat is a talent! :p

I've noticed him sleeping more since I've increased the dose, though, but I'm assuming that is normal while his body readjusts.

I'm going to feel pretty bad moving him again. We are moving in just over a week and I'm going to have to stay with my mom for a while (uh oh) until we have another apartment lined up and my other job starts. Maybe she'll have a more positive reaction to seeing him more alert and Grayson-like, but I do want him to stay with us.

I'll be at home tonight so I can get a +2 from him later today!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.