Are these syringes the same dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MClarke087, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Hi, everyone. I thought I ordered the right syringes (I switched to a cheaper company), but now I'm not sure. I don't want to overdose my buddy and we are completely out of his "old" syringes.

The old syringe goes to 20 units, while this goes to 40. Also, when I put the needles next to each other I expected the numbers to line up but they don't (see second picture).

Regarding the pic with the two different needle descriptions: the pic on the top is the "old" syringe. The pic on the bottom is the new kind I just ordered. Can someone please tell me if this needle will be the same dose

Attached Files:

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

1 unit will still be 1 unit..... They just hold different total amounts.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

The barrel sizes are different one holds more. One is 1/2 cc which - 0.5 ml the other one is 1 ml which is 1 cc.

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I think they are the same - I mean, U40 should be U40, and 1 unit should still be 1 unit. I'mm guessing that the numbers don't line up because one syringe has an overall-larger capacity than the other, and the size of the barrel may be different.

5. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Hmm okay so they're the same dose?

6. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I thought they were the same too. I'm just concerned because the need syringe just doesn't seem right. Definitely appreciate everyone's thoughts.

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I would say so - 1 unit is 1 unit. I would be leary too!

They are both U-40 insulin syringes which I think is the important part.

Is one barrel larger around then the other?

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

One holds 20 units and is 1/2 cc ones right? One holds 40 units and that is the 1 ml one right?

I am pretty sure 1 unit is 1 unit.

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The ones that hold 20 units likely have marks that are farther apart. That will be easier for you to read and estimate half units if needed. One unit is one unit on either type.

jayla-n-Drevon and Squalliesmom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.