Are we headed into remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by misskitty007, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

It has been 24 hours since Fredo's last dose of 0.5 ProZinc. Using the ALPHATRAK2, he was at 164 yesterday AMPS, 161 12 hours later (no shot) and 120 this morning! He is eating this morning too and had food about an hour and 15 before this AM test (i usually like to have a 2 hour window, but he was hungry and that doesn't always happen around here lately), so it looks like i'm going to have to skip his shot and pray that maybe we are resolving?

2. He ate an hour before that 120?
    I would skip the shot. His BG is normal.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

he did. not shooting. (holding breath and hoping...now if only he would poop.)

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If constipation is an issue, pop over to Feline Constipation to read up on the feline GI tract, how it works, and options when it doesn't.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

yes, i read this site yesterday. good info. Fredo had diarrhea for ever and now hasn't pooped at all in a few days, tho maybe he did have diarrhea and i just didn't realize when cleaning his box. his stomach issues continue, but the diabetes seems like it might be resolving. i definitely can't dose at only BG 120.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you had him tested for pancreatitis (sorry - I don't recall) or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI)? Both of those may cause GI upsets.

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I second BJ's suggestion about testing for pancreatic abnormality. The Snap fPL test will give you a yes/no result for pancreatitis, but the Spec fPL gives a quantitative result and therefore better indicates the degree of inflammation should it be present. the fTLI is the test for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. A cat needs to fast before the tests. I can't remember for how long but your vet should be able to tell you if you decide to get the tests done.

Fingers and paws crossed in the Shire for Fredo. :)

8. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

He tested negative on pancreatitis. I don't know about EPI or Spec fPL. my vet is pretty thorough, but did not mention these to me, and Fredo certainly had not been fasting before his blood was drawn. Vet really does not believe that is the issue, but admits he doesn't have an answer. He suggested possible seeing an endocrinologist if all this continues. I was going to ride out the weekend and suggest a possible ultrasound. Though I have to be honest, the cost of all of this is killing me. We spent $800 last week to find out he didn't have a UT blockage, or ultimately even a UTI.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What do the feces look like? Dark or light? Small or large? Smelly or minimal odor? Hard or soft?

10. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

only diarrhea, for quite awhile. med-light brown. liquid. minimal smelly.

11. Is he at all dehydrated? How often do you see him drinking water?

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for 2 checks for dehydration, plus some other assessments you may make to evaluate him.

13. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

He drinks regularly, has always been good with his water consumption. And since the diabetes has been well controlled, he drinks less, but still a good amount for a kitty I think. I have been trying to limit his freeze dried chicken treats since the diarrhea, as i know he needs as much moisture and he can get in his food. i do a lot of hand feeding lately, mixing chicken breast with the FF. and he's been better about that.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

So he has diarrhea. Is it chronic?

15. BJ, i think he's had diarrhea for a while, but now doesn't seem to be going at all?

Can you recall the last time he had a normal poop?

16. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

it has been at least 10 days.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If small amounts of diarrhea persistently, but no normal feces, he could be partially obstructed.

18. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

brought him to the emergency animal hospital in the middle of the night last week when i was worried about that. no obstruction.

19. misskitty007

misskitty007 Member

135 (AlphaTrak) this morning. 48 hours with no insulin. not going to shoot. all such a guessing game.

mirnta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.