Are we there yet? (when do we know we're at The Falls?)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Orion's Bean, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orion's Bean

Orion's Bean New Member

Hi everyone,

First post, but have been reading for about two months since my sugarboy Orion was diagnosed. Thanks to all the MARVLEOUS advice on this site I think (hope, pray) Orion may be almost officially OTJ. He hasn't needed any insulin in 12 days; both his am and pm BGs have tested in the 40 - 50 range consistently. (In all honesty, I'm a little weirded out by these low numbers but there have been no hypo signs, and the meter controls, me and his sister Lyra, are in normal ranges...)

So, my question is when do we know we're in dancing in the spray of the Falls? Is it two weeks, three weeks, etc.? Could you give me some idea when do you backed off the twice-a-day testing to less frequently?

Also, does anyone have any experience with how reliable the Relion is below 80 (as compared to lab values, other meters, or fructosamine values)?

Thanks!

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Looking good :mrgreen: Usually we say a cat has reached the falls after a 2 week trial without insulin and staying in good nondiabetic numbers so you are just about ready to party!!

In my time watching what people have used on the boards, it has often seemed to me that the ReliOns ran lower than the other meters and were more likely to have cats reach the falls in the 40-60s where those of us using meters like the Aviva would be in the 70-80s. I don't think you have anything to worry about. As long as there is no insulin being given it is rare for a cat to have a hypo situation without some unusual underlying medical condition.

3. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

congrats!!! Dusting off our party hats ~ way to go Orion!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT dancing_cat dancing_cat

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

So glad to hear Orion is doing so well; it could be that you caught it quickly and often OTJ comes easier for the newly dx kitties.

The normal period has been 2 weeks/ 14 days with no insulin to be officially OTJ. Others can let you know how long they tested at ps times, but it's a good idea to continue some sort of testing as Orion is in remission and may well relapse later on.

I think you can test to see how well Orion's pancreas is working with the feeding test. Test him, then feed him, and then in 30min or so, test again and you may see a lower BG.

Congratulations to you and to Orion.

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Congrats looks like Orion is indeed feeling the spray of the Falls on his whiskers!

When Maxwell went OTJ, I continued to test him at ps for about another 3 weeks with a few random spot checks throughout the day, then I dropped back to just ps for another couple of weeks and now that he has been OTJ for over a year I still test him about twice a month. I try for the 1st and the 15th just to keep me on some sort of schedule. I will also pull a spot check on him if he seems off for some reason, like not eating as much, seeming extra tired etc.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Start packing his bags, it's almost time for him to go to the Falls. Bye bye Orion, welcome to the Falls.

Congrats and good job.

And no don't freak out at the low numbers, these are all good things!

7. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

wooo hoo congratulations! Mocha is going to be nine months OTJ tomorrow and I just tested her last night with the relioin .. she tested 56 .. when I gave the vet all of her SS's printed out, she told me she was way to low, it wasn't "normal" and that she would "look into it" Found out later she e mailed the SS's to other vet's in the practice and at the local colleges specializing in veterinary .. Never heard back what they had to say about mocha .. but figure it couldn't of been much!

8. Orion's Bean

Orion's Bean New Member

Thanks for all the helpful and encouraging replies. I'm still holding my breath every time we test; Orion is much more mellow about the whole thing :smile:

We're off to the vet for a fructosamine level tonight - fingers crossed - if that comes back in the normal range I think I'll believe it's "official"

9. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

I sure would like a invite to a otj_icon party.
    It would be my first to attend.
    :RAHCAT

10. Melanie and Smokey

I thought I heard the sound of water rushing over rocks in this post today?? :mrgreen:

11. Orion's Bean

Orion's Bean New Member

We're There !!!! (was Re: Are we there yet?)

Indeed, you did hear water swooshing by today :D :D :D

Today is Day 14 With No Insulin, morning test was 39 mg/dL, and..... (drumroll please)...... yesterday's fructosamine test came back at 334 mmol/L (normal range for this lab is 191 - 349 mmol/L), in "excellent" range!!!!

And, the vet used the R-word (remission) when he called. Poor guy, I don't think he believed me when I told him that Orion's glucose had been testing in the 40 - 50 mg/dL range at home for the last 2 weeks ....

So, pardon me for a minute, but,

WOOT WOOT WOOT !!!!!!!!!!

Please join us for party hats, chin scratchies, and low-carb treats all around!!!!

12. Melanie and Smokey

party_cat party_cat party_cat :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.