Arthritis - omega 3 supplements?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Islandmomma, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

Glen has arthritis. He is on cartrophen injections, which is helping a lot, but the vet also suggested omega 3 supplements. She recommended Flexidan chews. I was going to try them but Glen is picky and a bag costs $65!
    Just wondering if anyone else has had success with them or given a different omega 3 supplement with success?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I've used Moxxor Omega 3. It's not cheap as such but the capsules are really small and easy to 'pill' and swallow if your kitty won't take other omega 3 oils in their food. (Moxxor is available online.)

I have heard good reports about Nordic Naturals omega supplements but I've not tried them. (Try amazon for them.)

Mogs

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Island Momma, I sympathize with your situation. We had a dog with arthritis and it was painful. Dogs and cats don't know when to "Take it easy", they just accept the pain. I'm pretty flexible and am willing to give almost anything a try. If you've never had Hemorrhoids just imagine a piece of broken glass up the wazoo. Many doctors think surgery is the only cure. In desperation a Holistic "Doctor" (this was 20 years ago, totally unregulated industry) told me to dip some toilet paper in Witch Hazel, an astringent, and put that up my behind overnight. Bingo! Still have Hemorrhoids but that level 10 pain has never returned. Do some research, there is zero proof that Omega 3 does any good. Science is often wrong, maybe they're just looking for proof in the wrong places. Now the big one; Amazon and pharmaceutical are a bad mix. Most of us pay too much for veterinary supplies but having a sick cat get sicker because your Omega 3 came from a place you've never heard of, packaged by the bare hands of someone with hepatitis and your vet bills will skyrocket. I'm not the smartest person here and have learned a lot from Mogs among others, just be careful.

4. Critter Mom

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!! :eek:

(But very entertaining! ;) )

5. Rebecca Thomas

Rebecca Thomas Member

Have you thought about Cosequin? Although it contains glucosamine there has been lots of reasearch to see if it affects blood sugar levels and so far there has been no evidence to suggest it does. There is a warning on it just to say if the animal suffers from diabetes you should do regular BG monitoring in case but you are doing this anyway. I know a lot of people use it in the pancreatitis and CKD forums for arthritis pain management and it is very effective with no side effects. There is evidence that Omega 3 can lower insulin resistence so may be good for diabetics in that way however there are also some warnings with diabetes which are very confusing. Some say it increases blood sugar although there is no evidence to support but there is evidence that it may increase insulin sensitivity so you need to BG monitor closely because he may need less insulin and may run an increased risk of hypo.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

Why yes, I have been known to talk too much, you know, blabber on endlessly, AdNauseam, seemingly without end, does this guy EVER shut up? Now my feelings are hurt. I have feelings too you know! And making fun of my bum is just so hurtful, I may not make another post for 5 to 10 minutes. I have to have a good cry now and it's all Critter Mom's fault. As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly! Boo hoo

7. Critter Mom

<passes the Kleenex>

;)

8. Noah & me (GA)

Yes, but the pink ones!

9. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

Thank ya u!

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I use Nordic Naturals for my crew. I get it at the local pet food store, and have also seen it at health food stores or on line. A few drops on food works for me. It didn't affect Neko's blood sugar. Neither did Cosequin, which also didn't do much for her arthritis.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

I think I will try this. My vet said cosequin is good but when it's advanced the omega 3 really helps get the joint inflammation down.
    The cartrophen injections are amazing though!

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Critter Mom

@Islandmomma -

Be sure to let us know how Glen gets on, Tammy. :)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.