Arthritis Treatment Options

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terruscats, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terruscats

Terruscats Member

Hi, I am Eddie's Mom. I do not post often but follow the forum. Thank goodness, for the most part, Eddie has handled his diabetes well. I am wondering what others, who have cats with arthritis as well, choose for pain relief? My vet is pushing Onsior for short term and gabapentin for long term. I am not comfortable using any meds but I need to give something for pain relief. I have signed him up for two weeks of laser treatment (two different types of lasers are used depending on severity in each elbow and knee). I am new to laser so not sure of its efficacy but based on the limping I believe pain med is going to be necessary. Any suggestions on CBD oil as well and safest brand to use? Thanks for any suggestions or advice offered!

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Not much experience with meds but if you can get him acupuncture sessions (need to find someone with experience and see if he accepts them) I've had incredible results on my dogs for arthritis and my acupuncturist vet says is great also for cats

3. Terruscats

Terruscats Member

4. Terruscats

Terruscats Member

Thanks, that is on my to do list. His current vet does not offer acupuncture but I have found a vet nearby who does. Glad to hear it is something to consider that has worked for you.

5. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

My girl has severe arthritis in everything but her neck. Knock on wood. She currently gets gabapentin and bupe for pain. We get Onisor if it gets really bad. But have only had to use it a few times she thought she was wondercat. No advise with CBD oil but hear good things about it. Also there is adequan, that is injectable, people give it praise but did nothing for my girl. ECID.
    Good luck with your furbaby! Hope you can find something to help her.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Definitly start adequan. I do adequan and Gabapentin.... But feel the adequan makes the most difference.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  7. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

I agree with JanetNJ that you should try the adequan. I noticed the effect after about 8 weeks on adequan. My kitty Beta had problems going up and down the stairs without it. She also takes gabapentin but has had to increase her dose for it to work. Previously, she had laser for about a year which worked for awhile, and after that had acupuncture for 2-3 months that didn't help much. Maybe they didn't work for her because her arthritis is more severe and I started treatment too late. The adequan seemed to raise her bg levels because she started needing insulin after a few months on it (after 2 yrs of diabetes being diet controlled). But I still give it to her because it's what's helped her the most.

8. Terruscats

Terruscats Member

Thanks for all the great advice. I do believe I am going to start the adequan along with laser and gabapentin. My vet does laser but not acupuncture and the one vet near our location who does, I just found out, has left the area.

Thanks again for the advice, it is always appreciated.

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.