ARTHRITUS MEDICINE ADVICE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorraine Edwards, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend an over the counter supplement/medicine for my non DB 14 year old fur baby Shelby who has Arthritus in her front leg, I have tried Metacam from the vet but it gives her trouble going to the toilet, shes not to bad other than on damp days but she still goes out in the rain and lays on wet grass. So I jus wondered what else I could try . Thanks in advance Lorraine & Shelby

2. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

You could try Cosequin for cats. It's available without a prescription.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A small amount of fish oil may be helpful, too, as it is a natural anti-inflammatory.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

We have used Synflex for Pets on our Taz for years, over 10 I think. She had a terrible limp in her back leg back when we started and her xrays showed arthritis setting in. She will be 18 in a couple of months and still sleeps in the top of the cat tree and jumps from there into the bed (gives me a heart attack, but she does it!) If it beef flavored liquid glucosamine supplement we just squirt in her mouth.

5. Spike's Mom

Spike's Mom Member

Have you considered just changing the prescription? I just started using Adequan this past week for my 14yr old fur baby. I saw some pretty good deals online. I got my bottle from the vet and they are telling me it will last over a year.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are two approaches to treating arthritis. The first is to help the joints and inflammation. Food supplements in this cateogry are fish oil (omega 3), glucosamine chondroitin (such as Cosequin), hyaluronic acid (Hyaflex is one example), and Duralactin. Injections that can help are Adequan in the US, Cartrophen in many other places in the world. Since you are used to giving injections, you may be able to get preloaded syringes or a vial.

The second approach to arthritis is pain management. Metacam is not recommended for cats. Buprenorphine, gabapentin, and tramadol are medications that may help. Acupuncture can also help with pain.

7. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

@Wendy&Neko, do you know if meloxicam is OK for cats? Our vet suggested that or buprenorphine for pain. I have not tried either with Mitz before. She did have acupuncture though. I couldn't believe she tolerated the needles but she did, while laying in the vet's lap! I do think it helped.
    Thanks,
    Joan

8. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Thanks for all the great info!! That's amazing @mitzelpliksmum acupuncture whilst laying on the vets lap, I will certainly see what I can get hold of , and I will have a chat wit the vet about pain relief

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would use buprenorphine over meloxicam (Metacam). I understand there is a black box warning against use of Metacam in the US - though it is used in smaller doses elsewhere in the world. Neko's vet didn't list it as one of the options. There is a post containing a link to the 2015 AAHA/AAFP Pain Management Guidelines for Cats and Dogs that describes more.

10. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

11. Millie and Cooper

Millie and Cooper Member

You might also ask your vet about cold laser therapy. One of my non diabetic cats has arthritis and he has received laser treatments at the vet that have really helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.