article about diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by gizzy, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gizzy

gizzy New Member

HI Ihaven't been on much lately but I came up to MI to sit with my mom and I had received a mag from the local vet it is from the American Animal Ass. there is an article about pet with diabetes and I was thinking it would be the same old thing but it wasn't, it say cats need a high protein low carb diet. That they are intolerant to high carb diets and require much more protein than dogs. It also said a lot of vets encourage pet owners to test blood samples at home. Cats experience a high rate of remission. I was totally surprised with this article it was written by Dr Bruyette who is he director of VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital. I plan on taking this back to MD and show Gizzy's vet and anyother vet we ever see. Gizzy has been insulin free for 4 years with a few times where he needed insulin due to an infection that after clearing up he went back off insulin. I might have to come back more often hope everyone is doing okay.

Stephanie

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That's really cool! I was talking to someone the other day (not on the board here as far as I know) who said when her cat was diagnosed her vet gave her a list of 4 Fancy Feast flavors to try, all low carb. I've seen other anecdotes like that here too. Seems like maybe the tide is shifting, and things are changing for the better in everyone's awareness & education? Hope so. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.