Asthmatic cat developed Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Loumoo, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

Hello there,

I am now a member here, as diabeticcat/forum and pets forum UK.

My one cat Leela got diagnosed with asthma last August [2016] and with check ups, after given oral steroids. She developed diabetes.

My vet the PDSA, said they can't treat both. As the only asthma medication , is oral [ i think].

Myself being diabetic and asthmatic, i understand the regime.

Since going there last friday, she gave me a bleak outlook. I have been an emotional mess. Leela is only 7.

So i have been testing her Blood Sugars with a spare kit i have and following guidelines and advice for TR, been giving her some of my lantus [glargine] twice a day and monitoring her sugars.

Her highest readings in MML have been 25 and her lowest 14.5

I took away ALL the dry food and treats, only giving wet low carb food [ hopefully] and will buy some special treats from petsathome tomorrow.

I have a vets visit tomorrow, to get her checked out and her sister [ her sister is smaller and seems ok, just want to be sure]

Going to buy an aerokat and some flikotide /flovent from an online chemist. and getting syringes in the post.

Refuse to let my vet give me a bleak outlook at her young age of 7 .5 years.

Her high sugars have made her a bit lethargic, she is still sweet and so on.

I haven't given her any of my brown inhaler - it is clenil.
    trying to avoid the oral steroids, gave her half last friday on the 24th. She was on half every other day etc. I find she is ok most of the time, i will order the aerokat and flixotide ASAP.

So yes there is my thing with Leela.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have never dealt with it myself but I know there are other members here who have kitties with both asthma and diabetes, and who have successfully treated both diseases. I can't believe your vet gave you such a grim outlook!

Sending prayers and strength for you and your kitty. Don't give up hope, it's do-able!!!:bighug::cat:

4. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

Thank you both, I think due to the PDSA being a charity and only dealing with people out of work [ for the moment i am] they can only prescribe limited medication. I am more than willing to bankrupt myself slightly for an aerokat and so on.

I just have the stress and monies needed for a cattery, as my neighbour won't inject her and frankly i don't blame her. She gets nervous and so on, my cats pick up on it.

She is eating a lot of wet food right now, her sister only eats small amounts here and there.
    Poor things haven't had any treats, will get those freeze dried ones tomorrow. If they don't like them, then its tough doo doo..Not sure any dry food or treats are suitable.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

6. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Yes my kitty has had asthma for a very long time. You can treat and manage both FD and asthma. If it means keeping Leela alive you need to give the oral Prednisolone not Prednisone. Prednisone has to go thru the liver where Prednisolone does not. How severe is the asthma? If it is mild or only occasional flare ups you can manage with an inhaler like you mentioned the aerokat and Flovent. I order mine from Canada and its called Flixotide. You also need to have on hand Albuterol for rescue.
    A few things that will help Leela not have attacks is no smoking in the house if you or anyone in your home smokes. No fireplace smoke, cleaner odors, perfume or cologne, dust free cat litter I use the Breeze system it has a tray with pellet litter and a piddle pad. I love it it is so much cleaner than any of the traditional littler boxes. etc.
    I run a cool mist humidifier 24/7 and a air cleaner to purifier the air.
    Make sure you don't stop the oral you have to taper off. When you get Leela on the inhaler you need to keep her on the oral for 7 to 14 days as Flovent? Flixotide takes awhile to get in the system. Then taper off oral. It is ok to put her back on if she has flare ups for short term. Every other day is better on them with less side effects.
    I need to mention that on oral it causes their BG to be higher so when you taper off please monitor close as you will have to adjust the insulin down. It's kinda balancing act when on oral more insulin when off less. The inhaled doesn't affect the BG as much if not at all as it goes directly into the lungs and not the blood stream.
    Taking her off dry food will also lower her BG's so monitor her please. Good luck ! You came to the best place here on this forum!!!! There are so many experienced people here. Leela can live a good life with FD & asthma. Most vets don't know much about treating disease just general pet care. Please keep coming back.
    Can you set up a Spread Sheet that way those here can help you with the dosing and any other help you ask for.:):bighug::bighug::bighug:

Melissa & Tarragon likes this.
  7. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Your right dry treats are not suitable. Can you get Bonita Flakes and freeze dried chicken, turkey, cod, there are other ones too.

8. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

I can get thrive and other things applaws from Petsathome.

They both go outside to do their doings, not used a litter tray for about 4 years. I got rid of all my plants, will replace with cat friendly ones.
    I will mention the oral one you mentioned to the vet.

Thank you lots

9. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

Not sure what the UK version of albuterol is though, if it's salbutamol i have that in ventolin. I have been told its not good for cats though

10. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be!! I don't have too much to add to what DebG already said in her post above. You ABSOLUTELY can manage FD and asthma simultaneously.

I believe the Albuterol is called Ventolin outside the US. That is what I used for my cat and I ordered it from overseas. The Flovent (Flixotide) is VERY expensive here in the States so I ordered that from overseas as well.

Yes, PredniSILONE is much better for cats then Prednisone. I'd also recommend you ask your vet for that as Deb mentioned. What dose of Predinsone is your cat on? How severe is Leela's asthma? I started Flame on the 125mcg dose of Flixotide but had to bump him up to the 250mcg dose.

If you are going to try to use the AeroKat with the Flixotide, you'll have to get kitty used to the mask. Most people recommend a couple weeks of "training" where you first just put the mask around their favorite areas and let them get used to seeing it. Then put some treats inside the mask and hold it up so they have to put their nose in the mask to get the treat. (I used bits of tuna, freeze dried chicken or deli meat - turkey). Do that until they are pretty comfortable. Then, slowly, try to put the mask on thier face (without the chamber, just the mask). Give a treat every time, no matter if they only kept the mask on for 1 - 2 seconds. Once they seem more comfortable with that, then put the chamber on and do the same routine... treats even if they keep the mask on for only a few seconds. Once you start giving the Flixotide, they need to be able to take a good 10 breaths to get a full dose, so it's important to get them used to the mask. Kitty will need to do this twice a day... every day.
    As Deb said, the Flixotide takes at least 14 days of consistent use before you should even think about trying to wean off the oral steroids and only IF kitty is doing well... no coughing or asthma flare ups. The inhaled steroids take a while to work.
    As Deb mentioned, IF (and only if and when) you decide to try to take your cat off the Pred, you MUST wean off slowly. It can not just be stopped.

Deb helped me a lot in the beginning too. I did everything she mentions in her post (cool mist humidifier, got rid of all fragrances - laundry detergent, hand soap, dishwashing liquid, etc.). Those are good tips.

Glad you are here!! Please set up a spreadsheet. If you need help, there are folks here who can help with that. The SS is very helpful when people here are trying to answer your questions or offer guidance.

Keep asking questions!! :bighug:

11. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

She is already on PredniSILONE. Not sure if it was the other previously.
    I have her a quarter this morning.
    So she went a week .
    She gets nervous with injections and occasionally testing.
    Getting thrive today.
    Her sugars are higher in the morning. I need to be stricter with her feeding times.
    She eats ALOT right now
    I shall update after the vets visit today xx

12. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

Well Leela will be on cansulin and I told the vet I will purchase an aerokat and what ever suitable inhaler is out there for her.
    She gave her some insulin there and I have to go to the PDSA Sat/Sun/Mon and Tuesday. First three days for insulin and the other a training. So they know they showed me how to inject.
    I bought some thrive and they seem to like it.
    Fry is OK, the vet said she is the right weight and she doubts she would have FD [ as Leela got it through her steroids ].
    Just going to cost getting catterys and thrive [ you can get it in bulk though].
    Good to know sheba fine flakes are good and easily obtained in supermarkets. They seem to like applaws as well.

Feeling more positive, just knowing won't be able to take the odd weekend here and there to go away ha.

13. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Looks like they have covered it all with you! Our kitty has had asthma for 12 years and diabetes for 7. It is very doable to manage both. We also get our flixotide and ventolin oversease. It is much cheaper. Tarragon is on 10 mg of prednisolone daily as well as the inhaler since he is a hard core asthmatic.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  14. Loumoo

Loumoo New Member

I have ventolin and clenil here for myself. Never needed the blue type, only when she had her attack.

I need to watch the seasons changing though, as summer was when she had her attack.

Not sure i can use clenil with Leela
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.