At a complete loss

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PebsNMunchsReagan, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

So a "mysterious" ailment has struck Munch that started showing signs about 5 days ago. She is struggling to stand, tense and careful when moving in general and angry and aggressive. The vet found no masses or lumps and really has no idea what is going on at this point. He ended up putting her on pain meds. He advised against doing the xrays, at that point, as she had gotten to and has remained at a point where even I can't come very close to her. I had picked up everything to start doing home testing but she is so absolutely agitated, even when sedated from the meds that I struggle immensely just to give her her insulin. I'm doing everything I can to remain calm and show her I'm not afraid/worried, but she could very likely take off a finger at this point. I also am concerned with pushing her to a point that damages our relationship. I'm the only one she truly trusts and has a strong bond with.
    So on to the other issue with the pain meds the overlap of med side effects and symptoms of low bg are almost identical. I've attempted to try to get her blood while shes on the pain meds, but she is agitated enough that she snaps, hisses and swats even though she can barely move. I'm at a loss. I don't know where to start at this point.

I have to run, she's crying out. I'll be back to update this later.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I would think xrays might be in order. She could have jumped and hurt herself. Might also show if kidneys were enlarged, if there were spots on the pancreas, just things we could see to rule out other issues.

Struggling to stand has me concerned, could be pain, could be something like low potassium, ketones or hypo. Was blood work done?

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Was any bloodwork done? A urine analysis?

4. Kathyh

Kathyh Member

Sending positive vibes your way!! Hope things calm down soon.
    No suggestions, I had a mainly feral cat who could/did attack even with 2 sedatives in her when at the vets.
    Would catnip help?
    HUGS and deep breaths coming your way

5. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

I'm currently waiting for a call back from the vet about doing x-rays and whatever else is needed.

Urine was done 9 days ago and she was fine, should I request testing that again? I don't believe bloodwork, they did take her bg level, but I do not believe anything else was done.

Does warm ears and dry nose indicate anything? I'm sorry if I come off as a basket case or naive. I'm seriously trying to balance Munch's health, the aftercare of an in-law after surgery two days ago and two weeks away from closing on a house which has had a bunch of hiccups and has me limited on how I can currently spend money. I'm just overwhelmed.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here's an online reference you may find handy to search for info - the Merck Veterinary Manual

While this is the previous edition, the basic information about diseases tends not to change drastically from edition to edition. I have the currednt edition at home, if you need a specific topic cross-checked.

There is a list of common lab tests used in private practice here

Here is a list of lab reference ranges for various species.

7. aliceoyu

aliceoyu New Member

Love the Merck Veterinary Reference.

I would definitely ask for a full blood panel. Neko when through this once and they had to put her under to get all the lab work and diagnostic done. Not able to stand and crying out definitely is a concern. Hope everything works out soon.

8. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I'll second what everyone else has said. The aggressiveness she is showing means she is really uncomfortable and probably in pain. Those issues won't go away until you can figure out what is going on. Prayers that you guys find something out soon :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.