At home Ketone testing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennRoss86, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

Any insights on how to test at home? It's super easy for me to collect urine as Grey is using the bathroom, so I'd love to test his ketones at home. I see test strips are fairly cheap online, but I would like to know which brands are best...

Also, any info. on that you can provide would be fantastic!

Thank you,
    Jenn & Mister Grey

2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I just purchase the relion brand from Walmart. I don’t know which are best... but these are more than likely the least expensive. (Can’t remember what I paid) I’m glad it’s easy for you to catch in stream, many have problems. I sneak up on Baby, course she’s blind.. so that helps if I’m quiet & quick!

JennRoss86 likes this.
  3. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I second the ReliOn from Walmart. Think it was 50 for $7 .

JennRoss86 likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here are some urine ketone testing methods:
    • put the end of the test strip right in his urine stream as he's peeing
    • slip a shallow, long handled spoon under his backside to catch a little pee - you don't need much
    • put a double layer of plastic wrap over his favourite part of the litter box and poke some depressions in it to catch pee.
    Most test strips have to be dipped and allowed to develop for 15 seconds before viewing the colour change in very good light.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    JennRoss86 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.