At home testing v. Vet testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobinHarley, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

So we had our 1.5 week follow up. Waiting to hear back from the vet today about adding that second dose in and to start regulating his BGs better. If not, like previously stated I will be switching back to our old vet and just making the drive.

BUT... Question... today he wanted me to bring my meter and we compared it to the vet meter (pet meter). He tested and then using the same sample of blood we put some on mine too.

Pet Meter: 442
    My Meter: 422 (human meter)

So knowing our meter runs about 20 lower than the pet meter... what all do I do with this information if anything...? The vet didn't give me any information besides those two numbers.

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Actually you can't really compare results between human and pet they will not always be 20 lower it can vary so really there's not much value in knowing this once it was 20 lower, if you are normally using the human meter I suggest you just follow the SLGS protocol that was actually written for human meter results and given Harley results I think the sooner you start dosing every 12 hours the better, dosing, once really does not work well for cats, that has to do with the fact that cats have a faster metabolism than humans and dogs, so they actually need it twice a day

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Human meters read lower than pet meters because of the different distribution of glucose in the blood constituents. The differences is smaller at lower BG values, not a constant difference. Both human and pet home meters have an accuracy of +/- 15-20%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.