Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pumpkins mom

pumpkins mom Member

Hi everyone. My vet prescribed Atopica for my cats allergies. It works great but Pumpkin drools miserably after each dose. Any ideas how I can make this chore a little better for him? Thanks

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Get some Pill Pockets and wrap the pill in the treat --- I buy the giant dog size and just pinch off a small amount to cover the kitty pills.

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I wonder if it can be compounded as a liquid with a cat friendly flavor - I used to get one of Maggie's nasty meds compounded to taste like tuna. I had another med compounded as a transdermal gel that was applied to her ears. Or coat it with butter and manually stuff it down her throat.

4. Sandy and Brie

Sandy and Brie Member

Maybe you could try empty gelcaps.

5. pumpkins mom

pumpkins mom Member

Thanks for the great replies. I am sorry I should have mentioned that the Atopica is a liquid. I can get it into Pumpkin ok but because of the really bad taste, Pumpkin drools after I give it to him. Any ideas if I can mix it with anything. I tried butter but that did not work. Thanks for your help.

6. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe follow with something yummy like a bite of tuna or tuna flakes. My civvie Frankie was on it and he didn't like the taste either but he didn't drool. Just a word of caution...read the fine print in the circular. Scared the crap outta me......especially the part about kidney damage. Frankie was mild CRD now he is CRF.....coincidence maybe.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It does come in a pill form.

You could suck the liquid into an oral syringe, then add some canned food to it, shake well, then dose. Use a food that you do not normally feed as doing this may generate a food aversion.

8. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Mix with baby food?

9. Sandy and Brie

Sandy and Brie Member

Maybe when you get a refill you could just get the pill form and use pill pockets or empty gelcaps. Another option is to have it compounded into a capsule. Many years ago my vet had mentioned cyclosporine for my Boo's allergies. She never used it though. I think it is more widely used now. I ended up going to a vet dermatologist and Boo was on allergy shots once a week for years. Those shots really helped.

10. pumpkins mom

pumpkins mom Member

Thanks for all your great ideas. I will try them.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When I was giving Spitzer cyclosporin gelcaps, they told me to put it in the freezer to help cut down on taste. I also used half a pill pocket wrapped around it; a full pill pocket made too big a mouthful..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.