Australian chemists withdrawing .3ml syringes stock up now!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vyktors Mum, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

@Voula @Bron and Sheba @CarolynE and all other Aussies stock up on your syringes now. Diabetes Australia has withdrawn the .3ml U100 syringes from their list. This is where most (perhaps all) chemists make their orders from so supplies will not be restocked and we'll be left paying twice as much from the vet. Do not be deterred by use by dates. Although they're stamped with a use by date here this is not done by the manufacturer. The BD website states that their syringes do not have a use by date (although given that they do have a rubber component I'd think there must be some limit) Also it is worth haggling if they're past it- I scored one chemists last box, use by June 2015, for $9.95 today :)

Voula likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Gosh that is a blow......thanks for alerting us. I will make inquiries at my local chemist.
    Do you know why they are withdrawing them?
    No one seems to care about the cats at all! We can't get cheaper/ subsidised syringes, insulin or test strips like humans.
    Maybe we should campaign for equality!

Voula and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you Serryn. I will stock up. At least we don't live near each other and so we won't be in competition to buy out the same chemists. :)

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  4. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Human children need these syringes too.

5. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I had a look at 1/2 ml 50 unit syringes and they might be okay but the 1 ml 100 unit syringes would be useless as each line measures 2 units. It is hard enough measuring 0.25 unit dose changes without the half unit markings on the syringes we buy now.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may need to get calipers and magnifiers, in order to use other syringes.
    One time I looked and while there research syringes which do small doses, they typically required an autoclave as they were re-usable and too expensive to just discard.
    Maybe contact Dr Rand at U of Queensland to alert her - if she speaks up, it could help.

7. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I checked and the syringes are still listed on the Diabetes Australia websites. Maybe they still have stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.