Auto Feeder

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris10S, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris10S

Kris10S Member

Oliver's auto feeder arrived today and I am looking forward to giving it a go for tonight. Are there tips or ticks anyone can share?

He has been eating almost a whole can overnight, but waking us up at 3:30 or 4 hungry when feeding time isn't until 6am. We are hoping splitting it up over the course of the night might help avoid this issue and keep his numbers stable since it seems to be better when we hold his "grazing" food vs, just leaving it out.

This is what I got.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GEWHNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  2. Lillie

Lillie Member

I believe a lot of us here have the PetSafe feeder. I use mine every night for Leo. It did cut back on his middle of the night pestering me in bed food cravings. It's also eliminated his empty stomach clear fluid puke he used to get by morning. I place a flat ice pack on the top of the feeder when I go to bed to keep it a little chilled and also add water to the food as it can evaporate some of the moisture. Some people freeze chunks of food for the later meals in the compartment. I have mine set for 2:00AM and 5:00AM as I alway leave some food in his regular bowl before I go to bed.

3. Kris10S

Kris10S Member

What is your feeding time with insulin?

4. Lillie

Lillie Member

My kitty Leo went into remission a while ago although he sometimes reaches high end of normal- but not enough or sustained enough to require insulin right now. If I were still giving him insulin I most probably would set a time for an empty compartment to open up so that his previous compartment with any food left would be closed off two hours before injection.

StephG likes this.
  5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I set mine too turn to an empty slot at +10.
    Tips: make sure the tray is pushed down all the way. I have put it down thinking it was all the way down and when it spins it only moves 1/2 way.
    I wash mine out every cycle because my cat gets prissy about the stale food smell.
    I put an extra smelly treat in it to get him to eat out of it right away. He still jumps if he's near it when it turns but honestly so do I! Haha.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. Lillie

Lillie Member

I jump too when it turns if I'm sitting in the room with the feeder. You'd think by now it wouldn't startle me! Leo leaves my bed at 2:00AM when he hears the whirl - he knows the food's open when he hears the sound.

7. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

It's nice to see this working for people! I ordered a different PetSafe one, and it ended up not working. If you guys have good luck with this one, maybe I ought to give it a try!!

8. Lillie

Lillie Member

I had originally ordered the two compartment petsafe feeder and it did not work very well at all. I returned it. It was very loud when it opened and was not very easy to set up the time. The five compartment works great even though I don't need all five compartments.

9. Kris10S

Kris10S Member

Thanks for this feedback! Oliver stopped eating well Friday and did better over the weekend so we didn't try it, but we are going to give it a go this weekend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.