Avery update 2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmonmiracle, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Hi everyone,

After a few days on cerenia, Avery was keeping her food down and we started her on the new dose of tapazole. Once we reached the 5 day mark, we stopped giving her the cerenia. Lo and behold, she's back to vomiting again.

We feed her twice a day, twelve hours apart. However, it seems all of her vomiting happens in the morning. In the evening, she is totally fine. She will wake us up asking to eat around 4AM, and when we don't oblige, she ends up bringing up clear stomach contents. I've been giving her morning meal around 6:30, she'll eat it, and then throw it up within 5 minutes. She'll ask for more shortly after, then keep it down for the rest of the day.

I'll be calling the vet as soon as I can, but they're closed for Easter and since she's eventually keeping food down, I don't think it's an emergency. However, I'm interested in what could be causing this. Could it be a side effect of her hyperthyroid or the meds? Or is it as simple as investing in an automatic feeder that gives her a bit of food to hold her over around 3-4 AM? Thank in advance for any and all insights!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It could be the thyroid meds. GI upset is a fairly common side effect.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Could you break her food into 4 meals a day instead of 2?

4. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

If I get myself an auto-feeder, I could. Both of my cats are scarfers rather than grazers. Luckily, my civvie Hugo does not jump onto the counters, but Avery does. I could leave the feeder there and program it to open midday and midnight.

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I think giving her some food a little before 4 am that is when she asks for it would help since her stomach won't be empty for so many hours and it will help control her stomach acids a little

cmonmiracle likes this.
  6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

It could be because of her meds. It could be because she is scarfing it down too fast. It could be because her stomach is empty and has bile. Just s few thoughts.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  7. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

I ordered an automatic feeder that should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully this will help reduce the acid tummy while we're at work or sleeping. Thanks for the suggestions!

I received a call today about her candidacy for I-131. They want to see blood work and urinalysis by end of this week. They also want to see an ultrasound due to her x-rays indicating an enlarged kidney. Back when the x-ray was done, I was told it was probably due to her UTI, so I wasn't worried about it. Now that I've done some more reading, I'm a bit concerned...

Labs will be done on Friday, but I'm not sure about the ultrasound yet as our vet doesn't offer abdominal scans. I'll have to wait for a referral appointment. Waiting is hard...

Sorry about all the posts/questions! There's been a lot going on with this poor girl lately and I truly value the level of expertise here.

8. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Don't worry ask all you want/need we will try and help, and let us know how she's doing and how her labs turn out

cmonmiracle likes this.
  9. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Baby did the same thing. Can’t let that tummy be empty! I’m the same way... lol. Timed feeder or freeze a dish of food before bed, & put it out at bedtime. I feed 5 times a day. Good luck. My thyroid kitty was the same way, even on her med., if she was empty she would vomit.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Vomiting is one possible side effect. YOu can try the transdermal METHIMAZOLE (TAPAZOLE) to see if that resolves the problem.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.