Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Anyone's kitty have gastro issue from azodyl ( ie liqui poo)
    I know it is specialized pro biotics..... so it seems possible .
    wondering if starting at lower dose would be better ? Gave BID per instructions.

Thanks

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe we had a similar issue. Vettybean was perplexed, he said he hadn't seen it in other kitties. It's not a common reaction; most kitties on the CRF list seemed to handle it really well. (Meowzi's special, of course, as is Wolfie :smile: )

My theory was her good gut bacteria had been so depleted b/c of several courses of prophylactic antibiotics during chemo that she couldn't tolerate this; so I tried cutting back her starting dose and eased her slowly into it. My memory is vague on how long it took; no more than two weeks I think. I forget if we stopped her for a while, put her on Culturelle or FortiFlora first, and then gradually eased her into Azodyl, or if we just cut back her dose right away and had her on Culturelle or FortiFlora simultaneously for a little while. Maybe my ss has notes - I'll see if I can find it (may also have notes at home).

eta: nope, not much on ss. maybe i noted it in her food charts, that's at home (pencil and paper stuff). btw she's fine on it now, gets it BID. we started azodyl around nov. or dec. 2008.

3. Cheryl and Winnie

he's already been on culturelle for long time...... @ 1/4 cap every meal.
    did you use SID or did you break the "rules" and cut it first?
    did you use both the culturelle/fortiflora w/ the azodyl ?
    I only sprinkle the FFlora on food when needed to entice. and never whole pack at a time.

he was not a happy camper and neither was I cleaning him and carpet :sad:

and yes it came in mail with cold packs. they had cooled a bit... but the bottle still felt cold. I hope is ok.
    got it from sister site of entirely pets --- when I punched in for the denamarin it switched me over to there.

He is not into new things. that didn't go well ( seemed to up his nausea) or maybe was just a coincidence. so we will venture back there after recover from azodyl incident. want to know what is doing what , kwim?

Thanks !
    If you figure out how you ease Meowzi onto it, please let me know.

4. WCF and Meowzi

re: SID or less, i don't remember. it was almost 1.5 years ago, i cant even remember details from last week :oops: if i have to venture a guess, i probably would have cut back to 1/2 capsule SID, then gradually ramp it up if i didn't see any bad s/e. i'll look through her food charts tonight, they're burried under the dreaded tax papers. if i didn't note it down there, will look through phone notes - i know i had talked to dr S about it b/c i remember him being perplexed.

not both. used either culturelle OR fortiflora, only one. i just can't remember which one b/c we have both in fridge. also not sure if used concurrent with azodyl; or C or F first, then stopped, and start azodyl. let's hope i keep good notes ;-)

5. Cheryl and Winnie

I have some of those papers piled all over too. no hurries. those come first ! only a couple days to cram :shock:

I hope you keep good notes too -- we don't want any more liquipoo incidents.
    ( the bottle says not cutting of pills....... does it really matter? )

and he's still not eating much :evil: time to feed. I hate that.

6. WCF and Meowzi

but you're giving me an excuse to put off filing :smile: actually, they're already done, on pencil and paper. i'm just dragging my feet filing them. no idea why. i'm getting a refund back so i really should just file, but this is the master procrastinator talking here.

okie, from what i can figure out:
    11/25/08 start azodyl, 1 capsule SID. looks like may have been on SID for couple of weeks? no s/e noted.
    12/8/08 azodyl raised to 1 capsule BID?
    12/9 - diarrhea. think was still dosing BID azodyl.
    12/10 - diarrhea. stopped azodyl PM, so only got one dose that day.
    12/11 - diarrhea x 3. no azodyl, stopped fish oil too. added fortiflora pm. ADR.
    12/12 - diarrhea x 2. gave fortiflora.
    12/13 - diarrhea x 2. gave fortiflora.
    12/14 - no diarrhea PM.
    12/15 - no signs of diarrhea.
    12/31 - restarted azodyl, 1/2 cap SID. spec fPLI elevated. hmm. i didn't remember this. i don't remember diarrhea with her other CP flares, but now i'm not sure if azodyl was cause of the diarrhea.
    1/2 - azodyl, 1 cap, SID
    1/4 - azodyl 1.5 cap
    1/5 - azodyl 1.25 cap (don't know why dose is jumping around) confused_cat
    1/6 - azodyl 1/2 cap BID

notes stopped there. i'm not sure how much help this is.

cut? is capsule, right? mine says "capsules should be given whole and not opened or crushed." but we open and sprinkle in a little bit (1/8 oz) of fancy feast and she eats it up. folks on the yahoo crf list do the same, but in baby food. it's just too big to pill. no idea if opening and sprinkling affects the efficacy - there is ongoing study funded by the VIN Foundation to check that (sprinkling on food is required by study), but doesn't look like it's wrapped up yet.

i hope he ate some by himself later today. eat, wolfie, eat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.