B-12 Injectable Single Use????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brenda and Morris, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I now know that I should have gotten a script from the vet and ordered online so I could get a huge bottle for what I paid for these teeny bottles (1mL) but here's the question. The pharmacist told me that the vials I got were single use only (human grade Cyanocobalamin Injection 1000 mcg/mL) in a 1mL vial. He said that they were single use only because there was no preservative in them and therefore, I am throwing away 3/4 of a vial after using 1/4 for the shot each week.

I read on another site that it may be possible and even beneficial to shoot twice a week at the beginning to kinda jump-start the dosing. If so, maybe I could use the vial more than once before I toss it. The label says "Contains a preservative - contains no more than 625 mcg/L of aluminum". Does that mean that the pharmacist was wrong and I can use more than once??? Or at least use it within a week or so of the 1st use???

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The the vial say only regarding how long the remainder of the vial can be used after it is first used? Sometimes the vial says something but otherwise the package insert will say. Id you do not have the package insert ask the pharmacy for one. They come with the vials. You might be able to find it online by Googling the name of the product together with the words package insert. The name has to be the trade nome not just B12. Propofol, an anesthesia drug contains no preservative and the package insert say use it within an hour or so after initially opening.

3. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

The package insert doesn't say how long it is usable...just this blurb about the preservative:
    "Each vial also contains Sodium Chloride, 0.9%. Benzyl Alcohol, 1.5%, is present
    as a preservative. Sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid may have been
    added during manufacture to adjust the pH (range 4.5-7.0)."
    I suppose I can call them during business hours tomorrow.
    Thanks again Larry...you're quite knowledgeable. laptop_smiley

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Should be OK for multiple injections based on the ingredients in my 100 ml multi-use vial:
    0.8% w/v sodium chloride
    1.5% v/v benzyl Alcohol

5. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

You're right...I went back to the pharmacy and questioned why they said only one use and he looked at the bottle again and said they made a mistake...could be used multiple times. Yay!! flip_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.