Baby and her BG on Lantus, help please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynncat, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

I know I saw somewhere here the conversion for readings. I just didn't expect my meter to read this way. It says 90 mg DL, can someone translate for me please?

2. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

I found the link for the explaintion. Baby eats at 7am and pm. I tested at about 2:45pm, so that should be peak, yes? I see that is an excellent number, so now I had better get my act together and test again before I shoot again, yes? Should I test before feeding or after? BTW, hated testing, took me 3 tries to get it. Seems my meter only gives me 20 sec to get the blood!
    She got switched to Lantus last sat evening, so it's been a week.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

peak (or nadir) would be the lowest number you catch in a cycle AMPS or PMPS, however it can vary, some kitties get it early, like around +3 or +4, and some get it later in a cycle, like around +9 or even +11.
    It helps to do a curve once in a while on a day you will be home. That will also help you catch her peak/nadir.

yes, testing before shot is advised, most especially when you start to see lower numbers thru a cycle.

when you come up to your AMPS or PMPS, test, shoot, feed is what is encouraged, as close to the +12 hour as you can...sometimes it takes about 15 minutes to get it all done. As you get more and more use to it, and comfortable with the pre-shot numbers, you can bring that time down to 5 minutes.

are you keeping daily track of your readings? Like in a notebook for example?
    you're always welcomed to post your numbers daily, that will help get you guidance, ok?

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

90 is a great number for a low point. The usual order of things is Test - Feed - Shoot. Many of us shoot while kitty is eating so that he is otherwise distracted. It is very important to test before each shot so that you know it is safe to give a full dose. 20 seconds is a long time for a meter to allow you to get blood into the test strip. Most meters allow you around 5 seconds to fill the test strip once blood has touched it. Congrats on the first poke! It will get better - and easier. I promise!

5. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

Thanks everyone. I'm really happy about that number, the total failure on Humulin N was such a terrible time and with the vet not really understanding what she was doing. I am not wanting to test again, didn't do it all that well and still gun shy, but I will try as it scares me more to have the possibility of having her go Hypo.

6. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

So glad to hear you are home testing Things will get easy believe me Do you warm his ear first and don`t go in stright with you lancet kind of slant ...and wrap him in a towel so he don`t try to get away and can move so much hope this help LOL Kath :mrgreen: :lol:

7. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

I didn't make out so well tonight. I poked 4 times, once I thought It was good with a nice drop, but got an error message. Finally gave up. She is really good about everything, does the shots so sweet, hates the pokes tho and figets which makes it hard. She keep twisting her head around.
    I don't see how a curve is in my future, I may have to let the vet do it. On the plus side, she has little white ears, easy to see the vein. I'm using a device, and keep thinking It may be easier for me to just poke with the lancet then put it in the pen.

8. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I definitely think it is easier to poke without using the device! Most kitties act the way you are describing at first because they aren't used to someone messing with their ears so much - it does get easier the more they get used to it!

Regarding curves at the vet - they aren't worth the money. Kitty is stressed the whole time, and stress can raise blood glucose levels anywhere from 50 to 200 points at any given time. Because of the stress you really have no clue what her actual numbers are. Don't waste your money and time on a vet curve!!!

9. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i'm another one who finds it a lot easier to use the lancet without the pen. don't worry -- at first their ears just aren't used to being poked. it doesn't hurt and eventually they get used to it and bleed better. you could nick the edge of the vein for a larger blood drop. poking the vein won't hurt her. some people also find that one ear bleeds better than the other. others find smearing a tiny bit of vaseline on the ear before poking will help the blood to bead better. i'd just smear a little neosporin/polysporin after you poke to help against scabbing while her ears are getting used to getting pricked. do that maybe every 3 days or so if you think she needs the extra healing. you could also use a thicker lancet to get more blood (something closer to 28 or 29 gauge than 30 or 31).

normally i just hold cleo's ear lightly between my warm fingers to warm it up so the blood flows better but at the beginning a rice sock was useful. you just put regular rice (not instant) in a sock or piece of fabric and nuke it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so til it's warm, then you hold it against the ear to warm it up. when i first started i'd also massage cleo's head and neck with the sock and i think she found it reassuring. it also gave us some quality time together that didn't involve poking and injecting. :)

a 90 is a very nice number. so happy you're starting to see nice results on lantus! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.