Baby not doing well on Humulin N

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Lynncat, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

The vet started her on 1 unit and it's been several days. I did buy all the stuff to do the checks, but after attempting it I find I am just totally inept at it and afraid to even try anymore. Vet visit last, her BG was over 300 and vet upped her to 2 units twice a day. So far it doesn't seem to be making any difference, but it's only been one day. She is having some problems that are not being resolved and she seems miserable. She "leaks" pee at night. She eats around 7, and gets her shot about 8, then about 2 or 3 she starts leaking. I did ask the vet about the reason for starting her on Humulin N and the answer was as expected, it's much less expensive. About half. Is it possible Lantus would do better for her and if so where oh where can I get it more reasonable. I just cannot afford $100 a month. Can it be purchased in smaller bottle? Seems like tossing so much out is not cost effective.
    The more I read the harder it all seems.
    Thanks
    Lynn and Baby

2. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Hi I have my cat Trey on Lantus and if you buy the little viles you get 5 for 110.00 I am in Canada I vile is good for 28 days so the others are in fridge till you need them.100units of Lantus ..I just threw one out and still had lots in it. I just get it at my drug store ver gave me the prescripion for everything Hope this helps LOL Kath Prayers and Angels coming to help you and Baby :mrgreen:

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Can't see if you've cross posted-just takes me to the health page in it's entirity.

Do you have any numbers you can share?

Humulin is not a very effective insulin from what I've learnt on here and general reading.
    A fructosamine test just gives you an average bg level over the previous 1-3 weeks and really isn't of great use. Kitty could have gone from 400 to 50 and you get a reading of 300.

Lantus has shown to have excellent results, the sooner used after diagnosis seemingly the better the results.
    It's a whole different ball game to humulin.
    As money sounds an issue-people have managed to use a vial for up to 9 weeks, basiclly you would bear in mind how old the insulin is if you started getting a rise in numbers. Storage makes all the difference too.
    Definitely using the 5 pack of vials works out cheaper as the longevity isn't affected until you open the vial.
    We used Levemir (almost identical in action) and I would always get around 42 days out of a vial, so a 5 pack lasted around 6 months-worked out cheaper than the caninsulin we were initially using and way better results-beautifully regulated!

This forum doesn't get a lot of traffic so is always a good idea to cross post in health and state in both posts that you've posted in both.
    Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.