Back from vacation and cat's BG back up

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by april925, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. april925

april925 Well-Known Member

Hi

I posted a few days ago about leaving for a vacation for a few days and my cat, Miss Kitty, having somewhat normal range BG readings right before I was getting ready to go. She has been diabetic since December and has been getting 1-2 units of Lantus. Her lastest dose was at 1.5 units. I was worried about the pet sitter, my neighbor, giving her insulin since she was getting the lower readings and the neighbor does not do BG checks. So, I ended up having the neighbor not give any insulin and I switched her food from Hill's W/D wet to the Cowboy Cookout thanks to reading this board and finding out the W/D is high in carbs.

The last time I had given her insulin was just one unit of Lantus on 6/19/11. After her readings stayed low 130s to 110s right up until I left on 6/22/11. I just got back today, 6/26/11, and checked her just once so far and she was at 284. I did not give the insulin yet becauase I want to wait for her usual time and get back on her schedule if she needs it again. I am planning on checking her again at about 5:30p.m. and then I will give probably 1 unit if she is not below 250, which is what the vet usually says, give it if over 250 and don't if below 250.

I'm not sure what my question is right now, I guess I just want to hear some opinions. I am thinking she went back up due to being stressed that I was gone and the neighbor was coming in and feeding her. Neighbor says she was grumpy and hissy.

thanks for the advise.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Honestly, it could be almost anything that caused her BG's to go rise. Even the fact that her pancreas needs more time to heal and she still needs to be on insulin - albeit a very low dose, but still needs it nonetheless.

3. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Could be stress, or could just be the insulin was stopped too quickly. Cat's do much better if you wean them off insulin slowly, from 1u to .75u, to .5u, to .25u, to .1u. Make sure you are getting a test in the middle of the cycle, because you don't know how much her insulin needs will be lowered after removing the w/d.

If it were me, I'd start her back at an even lower amount of insulin, like .5u. I think it's likely she's close to remission, but just needs a little help to get there. You can always raise it if it's not enough. But with the numbers she was giving you still on the w/d, I don't think she'll need a lot.

4. april925

I just checked her again at 5:35 p.m. and she is a pinch down at 262, so she needs some insulin. I was going to give a unit, do you think it should just be .5 unit?

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I would shoot .5u for at least 3 days, maybe a a week, and see how she does. If I remember correctly, she was going into the 90s and low 100s alternating between 1u and no insulin while still eating the w/d. I think 1u could be too high. Better to start too low than too high in my opinion.

6. april925

I gave her slightly less than 1 unit. She usually reaches her lowest point about 5 hours out from her dose, so I'm going to check her again at about that time, might not be able to wait that long, really tired from vacation.

7. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Just keep a close eye on her, especially at her nadirs. If she was about to go off insulin on 1u before you left, chances are after a few days you'll have to lower that dose.

8. april925

Just checked her again at 10:40p.m. and she is at 72. This seems like it is going to be tricky. I have one more day off from work. I'll check her next early tomorrow morning and try for every two hours after that.

9. april925

Checked her at 5:40 a.m. and she is at 93, so no insulin this morning. How do you wean a cat from the insulin when she is already on such low doses? I can't see giving her any right now with that low reading. I think I will check her throughout the day and see how she does.

10. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Do you have syringes with half unit markings on them, that look like this?
    [​IMG]

If so, here's how you do smaller numbers. With .5u, you simply go to that very first half mark line. With .25u (or .75u), you're aiming for half way between the needle and the .5 mark (or the .5 and 1 marks for .75u):
    [​IMG]

For .1u, you're barely pulling the plunger back:

[​IMG]

Many cats have a better chance staying in remission if slowly take them off insulin. Have you thought about setting up a spreadsheet? Here's a link: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207&start=0

If you have your numbers handy the people in the Lantus forum can help guide Miss Kitty into remission safely. There's been some wonkiness with the spreadsheet lately, so if you have trouble opening it, ask for help and someone here will guide you through it.

11. april925

I get this message when I click the link for the insulin template:

Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested does not exist.

Do you think I should have given her a little insulin this morning? I'm going to check her in a little bit soon as my husband gets back with more test strips.

12. Julia & Bandit (GA)

A lot of people have had that problem with it lately. Try this one: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...htdFVZZ3I3TVh3YU5pNWRES0RYclZ2YUE&output=html

You need to be logged into Google. When you are logged in, click on the link above.

When you get to the spreadsheet, click on FILE (on upper left), then choose MAKE A COPY.
    A box will appear with space for you to re-name it.

Then you can follow the rest of the instructions in the earlier link I gave to put it in your signature.

Let me know if that works for you!

13. april925

The template came up this time and I went under file and save as and named it, but it won't let me type anything into it.

14. april925

Darn, I just checked her and she is at 215. I do have some of the needles with the half marks on them. Do you think I should have given her a half unit this morning even though she was at 93?

15. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I think probably, but it's hard to say without seeing the data. You did the right thing--unless there's data to look at we don't recommend shooting under 200.

Are you logged into google when you try to edit? Maybe try logging out and logging back into google docs, and see if your named file is there.

16. Julia & Bandit (GA)

There's no make a copy option like there should be. I'll get you some help with it, hang tight.

17. april925

Thanks, I'm getting ready to leave for a doctor appointment. I'll be back around 3:30p, so I can try it again then.

18. april925

I still can't enter anything.

19. Julia & Bandit (GA)

20. april925

I think I sort of did that. When I got the template to open, I did file, save as, and named it and it was in my documents on my computer. Then some how I got it to Google Docs, but I don't know how, but it still will not let me enter anything.

21. april925

Ok, It's half an hour before her usual shot and she is at 211, so I should give 0.5 units? Then I'll check her tomorrow morning pre-shot, and if it is over 200, give another 0.5 units? Basically, what I've gotten from most here is to check before each shot and give insulin if over 200 and do not if under 200?

22. Julia & Bandit (GA)

You don't want to do a save as with the one I just gave you. You want to click "Use this Template". Then a spreadsheet should open that says "copy of template". Once you're there, follow the rest of the instructions from this link: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207&start=0

Make sure you're logged into google docs when you do this.

23. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I would give .5u if she's over 200. Once you get your spreadsheet up and running, you can get advice from the very experienced people in the Lantus forum. They will be able to help fine tune the dose for you so you don't have to keep stopping and starting insulin.

I have to drive home and take care of Bandit now, but I'll be checking back in a couple hours to make sure you got it working ok.

24. april925

Thanks Julia

I know what you mean, my schedule revolves around my cat pretty much now. She's been with me so many years, I'm going to do what I can to help her.

I wonder if I can do the spreadsheet from work. I go back tomorrow, so tonight I am about out of time here at home, maybe it will work better from work.

I will report her number tomorrw morning.

Good night.

25. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Ok, I'll check in with you tomorrow.

26. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

27. april925

I hope someone is up at this hour, it's really not a true emergency, but after checking her this morning, she is at 188, so I am not sure if I should give her a very small dose or not give any. I need to decide like now as I am getting ready for work.

28. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Morning, April! Did you end up shooting the .5u?

Also, were you able to get the spreadsheet up and running? I really want to get you set up with that so you can get some advice on the right dose for Miss Kitty. I would have said yes, go ahead and shoot the .5u based on the numbers I've seen so far, but my experience with dosing is limited to Bandit. I would feel a lot better if you got that confirmed from the more experienced users in the Lantus forum.

29. april925

I ended up not shooting her. I'll check her prior to her evening shot and see from there. I'm going to try to play with this spreadsheet here at work today if I can.

thanks

30. april925

Darn, I can't do this from work, it is blocked.

31. Julia & Bandit (GA)

They block google docs at your work? That is so annoying. What if you need to use it to collaborate with a coworker? If it were me I'd call my IT department and have them unblock it, but I also use them all the time for work related stuff, too.

32. april925

33. april925

Hi, I've opened and closed my spreadsheet a couple of times and it seems to work ok, so I've closed it again. I entered her results from this morning, which are not good at 338. She's been on this road before, just when we think she may be going into remission, she goes back up. Hoping the weaning will do the trick this time, the vet has never said anything about that, makes sense to me and is worth a try.

34. april925

Re: Please check SS - Back from vacation and cat's BG back u

is someone available to check my spreadsheet? We would appreciate it.

thanks so much

35. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Hi April,

So glad you got it working! I recommend starting a new post in the Lantus Forum with the subject "Newbie Dosing Advice". You'll get lots of experienced eyes on it.

Here's a link to the Lantus forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

36. april925

Ok, thanks!! Are you able to look at it though, just wondering if others can see it ok.

37. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Yup, it's working fine. If you haven't done so though, I would put the link in between the "url" brackets that look like this: Your spreadsheet link. That way if you edit your signature at all it won't stop working on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.