Back to dry food (again): help requested re new brands

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph

Steph Member

Now that EVO cat and kitten/chicken and turkey dry food will be no longer manufactured, I am left with Wysong Epigen 90, which is a great food. Stubbie has been maintained in high 100s on those two foods for 2.5 years, with 3.5 units of Prozinc twice daily. He was recently put on a steroid which made his numbers very wonky; now he's off of the steroid but also still unsettled re numbers.

He also gets pates a.m. and p.m. and they aren't the culprit...

1) I tried Instinct Ultimate Protein dry (95 percent protein) and today, he is at 549! It says 95 percent protein, but does have tapioca and pumpkinseeds. Is this a diabetic food, to your knowledge?

2) Orijen dry, any brands? Very expensive, but worth it.

I am chagrined that I had so much control and POOF.

Thank you for thoughts. I have not been here because he has been under such good control: has.

Steph

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Have you tried dr. Elseys clean protein, I use it for Bella and all his siblings, it’s very good and low in carbs, if you email them they will send samples, I did use orijen but it was to high in carbs for bella

3. Bellasmom

4. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

According to chewy, Instinct Ultimate Protein dry is 20% carbs.

5. Steph

Steph Member

I have not! Thanks for this. I once tried Young Again, but it was so rich his tummy couldn't tolerate. 20% carbs is too high. Thanks Sean and Rufus! XO from Stub

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  6. Steph

Steph Member

Hi Bellasmom, I will call right now. I am really upset, to be truthful, with that number today. Yikes. Never get too confident, I say to self...

7. Bellasmom

None of my cats would do young again, I was surprised

8. Bellasmom

Trying to find a cat food can make you:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

9. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

My cats wouldn't eat Young Again or Dr Elseys, or EVO. My diabetic Rufus also needs a limited ingredient diet. SO SO SO hard to find a decent dry food.

10. Steph

Steph Member

I feel your pain. They LOVE EVO. I bought 6 giant bags of it to store...:(

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The 95% means that of them protein in the food 95% is from chicken. The Chewy page includes "
    • 95% protein from real chicken offers up to 3 times more real chicken.* Absolutely no animal meal!".

12. PamJV

PamJV Member

Wow finally I find someone who knows my pain ! My cat Ricky actually loved Evo for years. In fact when he could have been eating high carb dry food he wouldn't touch it and would only eat Evo. When they announced it was being discontinued this year, I stocked up on what I could find but then it seemed he didn't like those stocked up bags. I wondered if it was old, but it still hasn't expired. It made me wonder. Any way for the last year I've been trying out other things like Young Again Zero and Dr. Elseys but Ricky really doesn't like them. Right now I'm trying to crush up some regular carb dry food and sprinkle a little just to improve the flavor of YAZ and Dr. Elseys. Then I figure I could gradually wean off of that flavoring.

Now I read about Wysong Epigen 90 and wonder if that one would be any better ?

Pam

13. PamJV

PamJV Member

Steph, over the years Ricky loved Evo so much that he'd only eat that even if I left out a bowl of regular carb dry food that my other cats wanted. Evo always had a strong smell, maybe from the herring. I wonder if that's what Ricky liked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.