Baileys mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra Grant, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra Grant

Debra Grant New Member

Just diagnosed today Bailey is a 13 year old boy fur baby. We are heading back to the vet later for our lessons on shots!! I was reading about the depo shots = diabetes. I found that very interesting since he has had these for a few years now! I have 9 babies all together & the vet was surprised I never had a diabetic but no one has ever had the depo shot except Bailey!! I am going to discuss this with the vet. Very nervous about the whole process!!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. When you know what insulin you are using tell us. Most cats starts with one unit of insulin twice daily. Levemir, Lantus (both human insulins), ProZinc and BCP PZI (cat insulins) are good fof cats. Vetsulin/Canisulin (pet insulin) and N /NPH (human insulin) are not good for cats.
    What are yu feeding? A low-carb canned is best. There are commercial foods like Fancy Feast and Friskies that are good. No reason for a prescription food.
    Most of us test are cats BG before each shot and periodically between shots with a human BG meter. In you case it is more important since as the depro shot wears off insulin needs will likely decrease.

3. Debra Grant

Debra Grant New Member

We are on pro zinc 1 unit 2xaday. I do use friskies I am not changing his food mainly because he has 8 brothers & sisters and that is just to difficult. We are doing his first shot in a few minutes fingers crossed

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

The importance of home testing cannot be over emphasised. It seems quite daunting at first but more kitties and their caregivers adjust very well and before you know it you can do it in your sleep. Bailey, like a lot of kitties, will probably end up loving testing time since it will be his special time with you.

There's a great spreadsheet in the tech forum you can set up to record your results.

5. Debra Grant

Debra Grant New Member

Home testing??

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We use a human glucometer, matching test strips, and lancets to get a droplet of blood from the outer edge of the ear or from the paw pad. Then we compare that number to feline-specific reference numbers to see if it is safe to give insulin, or to see how well the glucose is being controlled. There are few nerve endings in the cat's ear or paw pad, so aside from some cats being annoyed at being restrained, many folks find a way to regularly test the cat's glucose to help keep it in safe, optimal condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.