? Baldy spots above eyes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TTBLR, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

Hello.
    I cannot remember exactly when Silvester started having these baldy spots over eyes, but in past weeks he's been scratching a lot especially above his right eye. The spot was red, and has less hair then above left one. There are little red dots, either he scratched with claws, or could be bites.

I've read it is a common for cats to have these spots, the thing is Silvester have been scratching these spots a lot.

Any possible causes you know of?

He is having eye discharge as well, could it be connected? Last vet visit, doctor could not help with the discharge, said there are too many possible causes.

Attached Files:

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. This is so familiar! Mia's hair has thinned over her eyes, especially the right one. There was a time when the skin was pinkish, and she had the red dots you are talking about from scratching. I assumed it was an allergy to something in her food since it had not been there in the past and there were new foods introduced. I am pretty sure the FF Chicken was a culprit - not the chicken in it since she eats 100% chicken and does not have this problem now - I think it was some other ingredient. And, I know Hill's m/d dry food does that to her. I feed a little of it to her when her BG gets low and needs carb steering, and when there have been times that I had to do that a few times over several days, the pinkness and dots re-appeared.

She never had eye discharge, but I know that allergies can cause that, too.

3. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

I've been feeding Silvester FF Chicken for some time now, but the problem only appeared now.

Do Mia's hair regrow?

Do you mean 100% chicken in Weruva Chicken Frick A' Zee, or do you home cook?

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The hair is still thinned in that area; it does not grow back. It was the pinkness and scratching that bothered me (and that re-appears if I give her something she is apparently allergic to). I was concerned with the thinning when I first noticed it, but when I looked into it (and asked the vet), I found out that it is pretty common in cats. I have seen no other symptoms to make me think it is anything more than normal hair loss with aging, and she has had comprehensive blood work that has not shown any issues. When I researched it, I did find that several things can cause hair loss in cats (thyroid or hormonal imbalances, ringworm, parasites, etc, etc, etc). So, if it concerns you and/or if there are any other symptoms or the loss is occurring in other areas too, you could get some test done to rule those out.

When I said 100% chicken, I meant that everything she gets is chicken.. it is her protein source. So, I know she is not allergic to that but probably to some of the other ingredients in the foods I mentioned. I do cook chicken breast and chicken bone broth for my girls, and their Weurva has chicken as the only meat. (By the way, my other baby, Willow, is allergic to Turkey. Years ago, that was their primary protein, and she started having gradual but extensive hair loss on her back legs and her tail. All of her hair grew back after I switched to chicken. If either one ever starts being allergic to chicken, I am in trouble!)

TTBLR likes this.
  5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Maybe the scratching is due to flies or an allergy) either food or environmental).

TTBLR likes this.
  6. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

I've also read that it is common, and the redness is gone now. Silvester still sometimes scratches the area, nothing out of normal.

I asked about cooking, because I consider it for Silvester. This is nice you do it.

Thank you for your response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.