BCP PZI vs. ProZinc Questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by PumpkinsMom, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

Has anyone used BCP PZI U40 and ProZinc?
    How do they compare for shelf life?
    How do they compare in time of onset and duration?

I have a foster cat that did poorly on Lantus.
    I switched to BCP PZI U100 and he did great.
    Then I switched to BCP PZI U40 because he needed a tiny little dose.
    He spent several days to several weeks OFF of insulin over a period of 14 months, sometimes only back on insulin for 2-4 doses and then off for several days.

Sometime last fall, the bottles of U40 had stickers on them to dispose after 28 days. I called BCP and the pharmacist said they can not guarantee the efficacy after 28 days. The bottles do actually last about 45-60 days but it's pretty inconsistent.

So I decided to try Levemir since I just used it to get my other foster cat OTJ.

Levemir has been AWFUL for Tucker and I'd like to switch either back to PZI or to ProZinc but I want to make an economical choice.

Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you decide to go with Levemir, you'll probably want to order from Canada to get the best pricing, short of someone selling it off Craigslist.

3. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

I don't want Lev. He is currently on it and it's not a good for insulin for him.

I am trying to decide between ProZinc or going back to BCP PZI.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who here has used both, but Larry @Larry and Kitties may well have. And Carl @Carl & Polly & Bob (GA) is knowledgeable in these matters. Hopefully one or other of them, or both, can give you some info.

PumpkinsMom likes this.
  5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think we have any one in the past few years who has used one and then the other. They do work pretty much the same way and people seem to have the same amount of success with either. BCP tends to be a cheaper cost. Some people think the batches can vary from batch to batch as it is a compounded insulin but that only seems to be an issue for the first few shots (which are wise to be cautious with regardless of insulin)

Hope that helps and good luck! Post here if you need help with dosing.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Sue - are you back home now?
    Lovely to see you. You were missed!!! :D

Eliz x

7. I only actually used VPA PZI which is no longer made. The vial lasted the whole ten weeks Bob was on insulin. I purchased a vial of BCP PZI when Bob relapsed but he passed less than a week later and I gave the insulin away.

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Thanks, Elizabeth. It is lovely to be missed. :D We had a wonderful time. New Zealand and Australia are such beautiful, varied, friendly and amazing countries!

9. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

My main issues I have with BCP is that their U40 is only good for 28 days and I feel like their quality has gone downhill over the last 6 months. How long does ProZinc typically last once opened?

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My previous vial lasted about 4 months; forgetting to get it back in the fridge immediately after using probably contributed to its demise.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Again, no personal experience. But almost every insulin says 30 days. We usually find that, if well refrigerated, it lasts longer

12. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

BCP's PZI used to say 6 months. It switched to 28 days a few months back and I can't get it to last past 60 days.

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hmmm. That's new and discouraging. I wonder why. Most human insulin like Lantus and Levemir say only a 30 day shelf life, but most pet users get around 6 months if they refrigerate it.

PumpkinsMom likes this.
  14. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

I have never had to get rid of Lantus or Levemir for my other cats because it went bad. So when the PZI doesn't last, I find it kind of irritating. I am pretty careful with my insulin. It has its own refrigerator, a digital thermometer and I check the temp 3x/day.

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That is discouraging. So are you thinking your choices are BCPU100 or ProZinc?

16. PumpkinsMom

PumpkinsMom Member

I was using U40 BCP because he was getting microdoses. So I'd rather stick with something that is U40.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you're limiting yourself to a U-40, the only other one I know is Vetsulin. It often lasts only 10 hours or so for the cat.

18. Fnd out if you can buy it in 5ml vials. I'm pretty sure that when BCP was advertising free samples, they were shipping 5ml rather than 10ml. Not sure if it was U40 though.

19. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

old thread,i know but I just ordered my first vial of BCP PZI. will arrive tomorrow.
    they say it lasts 6 months BUT once punctured its good for just 28 days. I wonder if that is true. guess i'll find out.
    wish us luck. its been a long road.
    any tips appreciated.
    @BJM

20. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think it will last a lot longer than 28 days, if refrigerated and taken care. Most people here get at least 3-6 months from a vial.

Good luck. Post on the forum if you need help.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  21. Rosie Raddatz

Rosie Raddatz New Member

I have used PZI U-40 insulin for 7-1/2 years almost without a problem. When they started to put the statement on not to use after 28 days, I talked with the pharmacy and was told they make it no different but (I think) it has to be included per FDA. I had generally used it even beyond 6 months when I was using smaller doses; could tell because of home testing by the end of 7th month it wasn't effective because of home testing

I lost my diabetic kitty and am donating my insulin to someone who uses ProZinc, U-40. Just want to be sure that it is interchangeable (looks to be) and have asked the person to be sure to home test to be sure glucose remains regulated. I have a great respect for insulin. It seems from these posts that it is okay to use the BCP Pharmacy PZI U-40 when using the ProZinc. I think shelf life is dependent on refrigeration, etc. Never had problems as I said.

Kris & Teasel and Misterbeesmom like this.
  22. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm sorry you lost your sugarbaby.
    I home test so will watch for signs of ineffectiveness.

23. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I am so sorry you lost your sweet kitty. It is wonderful to pay it forward in his memory and help some other kitty. Maybe you can start a new thread on the forum and someone else can use it.

24. AJHJ

AJHJ Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.