Bear's Red Swings

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bear & Lora, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom @Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel

Djamila I think Bear is going into some of those Red swings you mentioned. I thought maybe some blues or greens would show up once his increased insulin dosage was closer to the right amount?

Am I interpreting this wrong?

There are a few variables that have been added other than his increased insulin. He has been on Zobaline for three days and almost all no carb Tiki for 4 days. I am going to give him more of his low carb pates starting (now at his PM +3) and tomorrow morning.

I can tell he hasn't felt very good today.

Would you hold his dose as is to see if his BG stabilizes more?

Tomorrow morning at 9 CST I had planned on going up 0.2 Units.

What do you guys recommend???

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd go ahead and increase. You've been on this dose for 4 cycles, and Bear's numbers are staying in yellows and higher. We tend to think the pancreas is in healing numbers more when in blues and greens...gives the pancreas a chance to rest and hopefully that will help with healing. Since Bear isn't hitting those good healing numbers, I'd be inclined to increase and see if that helps.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree with Rachel to keep going on the increases. What you're seeing doesn't look like a swing or bounce, it's just too little insulin.

Some cats just need more insulin than others. My kitty is right up there with you lately on that dose level. And we've had cats get much higher than this.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  4. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

@Rachel @Djamila

Thank you both!

Djamila I was looking at another thread with Becki and sox qnd you had told Becki that you would be somewhat aggressive with dosing because you had read an article that 60 to 70% of diet controlled remission happens in the first 6 months.

You don't happen to remember where you read that at have you?
    I wonder when Bear's six months would start? After he was diagnosed or before that when he was full blown in June and dropping weight? I suppose the 6 months would be after insulin was started?

By the time I had emailed Dr Pierson Bear had been on insulin a little over a month.