Beechnut Baby Food - Product Changed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lana & Yoyo, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

Beechnut Baby Food has changed its Meat & Broth baby food. The Chicken & Broth was one of my staple treats. My cat won't touch the stuff anymore. It used to be finely ground and intensely aromatic with a lot of broth in it. No more. I am thinking about writing to tell them that my baby hates their "new" homestyle version.

Gerber puts cornstarch in their chicken and turkey baby foods so I have only used Beechnut. Anymore figured out a carb % for the Gerber's?

Lana

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I tried to approximate the carb count and I think the Gerber's is about 7%. FWIW, my guys have always preferred the Gerber to the Beechnut.

3. Sam and S'mores

Sam and S'mores Member

I was just looking at this over in another post.

By my count, the Gerber is ~8% carbs, and twice as calorie dense as the Beech Nut (100kcals vs 50kcals for the ame 2.5oz jar)

Math below:
    Gerber's website list the nutrition info as:
    6g Fat
    8g Protein
    2g Carbs

Using 8.5kcals/g Fat, and 3.5kcals/g Carbs and Protein, that gives:
    51 kcals Fat
    28 kcals Protein
    7 kcals Carbs
    =86 total, 8% carbs

That should be 100kcals total, based on the box, so they are rounding down somewhere, but unless that is all in the carb line, then the 8% should still be about right.

4. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

Thanks, Sienne and Sam. I'll give Gerber's a try.

Lana

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Per Janet's spreadsheet, the 8.5 and 3.5 are for animal quality foods. She uses 9 and 4 for human quality foods. That makes it about 8.5% carb and much closer to the 100 kcals.

6. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

I had some chicken in the freezer and I decided to see if I could make my own. 3 leg/thighs. I put them in a pot with 3 cans of low-sodium chicken stock and let them cook very slowly (an occasional bubble) in the stock - about an 1.5 hrs. I deboned the chicken and put it in the food processor with a lot of stock. I gave Yoyo a spoonful of chicken with a an additional spoonful of stock on it. He ate it!

Lana

7. Sam and S'mores

Sam and S'mores Member

Can you check the ingredients on the chiken stock? Apparently, cats have some major issue with onions.

8. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

It contains onion juice concentrate.

I've given it to him last night and this morning. What should I look out for?

Lana

9. Sam and S'mores

Sam and S'mores Member

Apparently there is a component of onions which can cause anemia. I doubt you gave enough to cause any real problem, but you may want to post to find someone who has experience here. I don't know that there is much treatment.

I had no idea until a post discussion on Sunday around a cat that's not eating. When you start to get desperate for things to feed, I guess you need to know about more cat food issues than ever before!

Here is a paper on the subject

10. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

Thanks, Sam, my baby food work-around is headed for the garbage disposal!

Lana

11. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, Beechnut baby food is a staple treat for Bandit, too. I just bought a ton of it back at the end of June when he had his dental and I'm still working through that bunch---must have been before the change, though. When did this happen?

They haven't changed any of the ingredient information yet on their web site, which is extremely unhelpful! I still lists the chicken, turkey, and beef flavors as having only meat and broth as ingredients.

http://www.beechnut.com/Our Baby Fo...n&ListValue=3&SearchType=By Keyword&ProdType=

http://www.beechnut.com/Our Baby Fo...y&ListValue=3&SearchType=By Keyword&ProdType=

http://www.beechnut.com/Our Baby Fo...f&ListValue=3&SearchType=By Keyword&ProdType=

12. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

When I went to the grocer two weeks ago, they had the regular chicken, but the turkey & broth was in a flatter jar & was labelled, "homestyle." They still had the old chicken & broth and I bought all of it.

When I went back to the grocer over the weekend, all the chicken/turkey & broth was labelled, "homestyle," and was in the flatter jars. It is ground but no ground as fine as the previous version. Also, it is drier -- not nearly as much broth. It also does not have that attractive smell that enticed my cat originally.

Lana

13. Julia & Bandit (GA)

This is so frustrating! Well, I guess it looks like I'm buying a food processor and I'll just make my own. I think I'll also run to the store and see if there's any of the old stuff left to buy up before it gets replaced...

14. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

I picked up a couple of jars of Beechnut Chicken & Broth, hoping I could doctor it up to be like the original. I was amazed to find it was finely ground with lots of broth in it just like it was before. So, it looks like quality control has fixed the problem. Thank goodness.

Lana

15. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

I have just resently purchased a used magic bullet. That thing is wonderful. I have cut up some baked chicken and added a bit of ff, blend it for a couple of minutes and they love it. Or I will add a teaspoon of tuna, tuna water, sardines. I am very happy with my little machine. I used it at least every other day for my girls something special.

16. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

Never heard of a Magic Bullet but after searching the internet, it looks like a nifty gadget. I've made a few things for Yoyo in a small food processor that I have and every time I've put something into my mixture that he was allergic to. The Beechnut has been so dependable. He likes it. It is just poultry and broth so there is nothing he is allergic to. It is a really convenient BG treat.

But maybe I'll try my hand again at something homemade . . .

Lana

17. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I had a Magic bullet but I gave it away a few years ago because I never used it--I could just kick myself for that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.