Been on Lantus for 24 hours, PMPS 179. Do I shoot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MindyC, Apr 12, 2019.

1. MindyC

MindyC Member

So we got the go ahead from the vet to switch Max from Novolin to Lantus yesterday. Started with his PM shot last night. Gave 1U. AMPS was 307 (waaaaay better than anything on Novolin), gave 1U, and he has been decreasing all day (didn't get a +6, I wasn't home, but got +3, +5 and +10). Now his PMPS is 179. He's eating right now, and will eat again in 2 hours.

Do I shoot?

Do I reduce his dose?

TIA.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It looks like Max's numbers have been dropping throughout the cycle. Since it's been about 30 min. since your last tested, can your re-test?

Generally if you're not sure whether it's safe to shoot, stalling and not feeding may let you see if his numbers are on the rise without benefit of food.

MindyC likes this.
  3. MindyC

MindyC Member

Testing at PMPS+ 30min was 167, so he’s still dropping, even after eating.

Not feeding is a challenge here with an automatic feeder and 4 pets very attuned to its schedule, but I will remember that for the future.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

There's really not a difference between 179 and 167. They are essentially the same number since there's 20% that's attributable to meter variance.

The big question is whether you feel comfortable shooting your usual dose? From the perspective of when Max was diagnosed, you're not new to FD. In the big picture, these numbers are safe to shoot. Are you going to be home to monitor and do you have some high carb food on hand should Max's numbers drop low? There is a sticky note on handling low numbers should no one be around to lend you a hand.

5. MindyC

MindyC Member

Yes, in the big picture I’m not new to FD, but in this case without much data to go on, I’m nervous about shooting low. I do have some Pounce treats and some food with gravy I randomly grabbed at the store when we got put back on the insulin, but I don’t know where they fall on the carb scale.

We will be home, but it’s supposed to be family
    movie night and he doesn’t come down to the basement with us anymore usually. Should I maybe go for a half dose?

6. MindyC

MindyC Member

PMPS + 1 hour and food is still 167.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

There's no depot in play yet so 0.5u should be safe.

Remember that your AMPS will be 12 hrs from when you shoot. You can move his shot time back either 15 min at both AMPS and PMPS or move it 30 min earlier once a day until you're back on schedule.

8. MindyC

MindyC Member

Thank you! I really appreciate the help! I’m going to give him .5U. And I won’t be upset about sleeping an hour later tomorrow.