8/13 Beenie AMPS 128, 145 +1, 174 +2, 160 +5, 133 +7

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beenie (GA), Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like Beenie's nadir has shifted late in the cycle and she is coming up from the green last night. Since you will be around to monitor (and I am assuming you have plenty of supplies), I think you are okay to shoot the full dose. This is a good time to see what she will do with a lower pre-shot and shooting the full dose. Make sure you get a +1 and a +2 to see what she is doing.

3. Beenie (GA)

Ok deep breath. Thank you and I will proceed and get those +1 and +2 numbers. Have plenty of supplies
    Thanks for responding!!!

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Beenie is doing wonderful with the Levemir!!! My experiences with Levemir with 2 FD kitties is that onset was not until around +4 with a nadir around +7-+9...although that could also vary. It looks like Beenie is doing something similar to my experiences with onset around +4 or +5 and nadir around +8-+9 which is very typical of Levemir.

Since it is early in the switch to Levemir you can do extra testing to get the patterns figured out, but for myself I usually start testing at +4. Good luck with today's tests!!

5. Beenie (GA)

Thank you Mary Ann!!! When she hit the 98 at +8 she rose in smaller increments than she has. Is that also sort of normal? In other words on 8/11 between +8 and +10 she went up 31. Last night in the same time frame she only went up 10
    Wasn't sure if that means anything? Or means absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

6. Tuxedo Mom

The intended (hoped for) action of Levemir is a slow drop with a sustained action lasting until close to or even at the next shot. Levemir has a later onset than other longer acting insulins such as Lantus or Prozinc, but is supposed to give a more flat and longer lasting nadir. Of course this is the theoretical and each kitty can react differently or have different cycles from time to time. At this point Beenie seems to be really liking the switch over. :smuggrin:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Beenie (GA)

:) Ok I guess I was in a panic because I've never seen numbers/colors like this and so quickly. I've been reading and re-reading stickies:bookworm: but in the back of mind I wondered since she is having such a great response to Lev was part of the reason she is high dose because ProZinc was in no way the right insulin for her? And if that is the case being on 12 U will she just plummet too low within the next few cycles?
    From what I've read so far and others have told me @saltycat's Jack had a dramatic response when switching from ProZinc to Lev. Numbers dropped like Beenie but after a few cycles went right back to where he was originally. Then others switched and no real difference.
    Maybe I'm overthinkingo_O

8. Beenie (GA)

145 + 1

Yay, thanks again Carla @carfurby :bighug:

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  9. Tuxedo Mom

Sometimes a different insulin will work better in some kitties....just like humans where there are a number of different insulin types and some work better for some people than for others. What sort of high dose condition does Beenie have..Acro or IAA?

10. Beenie (GA)

She hasn't been tested, yet? I waited too long and didn't realize that once you hit 6 U on any insulin that you should really consider the testing. So about three weeks ago I told my vet I wanted to get the testing done. He has sent samples to MSU in the past and requests their mailers. Didn't come in yet. My guess is someone dropped the ball in his office with ordering. Spoke to them Friday and the front desk assured me it was ordered and should be in this week. So hopefully I'll know soon if she has one or both conditions.

11. Tuxedo Mom

I do think someone dropped the ball!! I have had BW done with MSU ( I am in Canada) and had no problem with having it sent off the same day as the blood draw and had the results quickly. My vet used their own shipping supplies. Most vets will have proper shipping packaging as there are always tests that need to be done by outside labs. I have had a number done by IDEXX and as with MSU my vet just ships the same day as the blood draw... a normal part of the vet practice.

It would be good to get those results since there are some different approaches for the different conditions.

12. Beenie (GA)

Agreed. If I don't get a call by Wednesday I'll have to go to plan B. Go to different vet to get this done. No sense of urgency because they probably think I'm nuts.

13. Tuxedo Mom

There was another member who went to 2 different vets who told them they weren't "able" to ship to MSU. :eek::eek: They ended up contacting MSU directly and getting the instructions for shipping on their own. Last post I remember they were going to have the blood draw done at the vet and do their own shipping. Pretty ridiculous that a vet clinic can't figure out the shipping. My vet had never shipped to MSU and they simply phoned to get the proper blood preparation instructions and shipping instructions.

ETA Here are the shipping instructions for MSU.

https://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Shipping/

14. Beenie (GA)

I know, its nuts! Yes in the Acro forum, I read and posted about it too. I have the forms and shipping info, thanks :bighug:
    I'm just floored that folks are having a difficult time getting it taken care of by their own vets. I'm giving it until mid week and then will take matters into my own hands.

Got Beenie's +2 174. Now back to bed for me to catch up on some zzzzzz's
    Thanks again Mary Ann!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  15. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Those look like pretty good numbers so far. I think that is a good dose for a bit while both you and Beenie get used to the new insulin and dealing with numbers in the better range. Generally in the blues you are under the renal threshold, which is where glucose is spilled into the urine and puts more pressure on the kidneys to filter it out.

Jacks's response to the switch was unusual, but not unheard of. You can see he bounced back up pretty quick and we started having to increase. With Beenie in the blues I would hold the dose for a bit.

My vet was able to handle the MSU shipping and had never done the test. When I inquired about shipping blood to the RVC, she had no idea how to do it and offered to draw and prepare the blood and hand the vials to me to deal with shipping. All vets are a bit different and we ask things they might not have ever done. Some vets are more willing to do a little research then others.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  16. Beenie (GA)

Thanks Wes. I did update Beenie's SS and we had a bounce yesterday. I was just questioning a dose increase in a new post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.