Beginning home testing and detox

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kak123, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kak123

Kak123 New Member

HI,
    I am going to begin to do home testing with my cat and have to detox him first. I am concerned about what will happen to him when I detox for 24 hours by with holding his insulin? He is considered insulin resistant, He has had all the blood testing and spent a day in the vets for a curve study which left him reading at 500, We changed his insulin from Lantus to PRO Zinc and he seems to be doing better on this He does walk on the flats of his hind legs and I just want him better so that is why I am making changes. Can anyone answer my question of what to look for when I start the detox and withhold his insulin. I am worried and concerned? \Kathi

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Why are you having to withhold insulin?

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We don't do the "detox" thing that they do on that other forum.

As long as you're home testing, there's no reason you have to withhold insulin at all.

Why do you consider him insulin resistant? Has he been tested for acromegaly and IAA?

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific about detox?

5. Chris & China (GA)

This sounds like diabetic neuropathy.....the best thing you can do is get his blood glucose under control, but there's also a supplement called Zobaline for Cats that has been very helpful in a lot of kitties.

Here's an example of how far back they can come!

6. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

I'm not sure of the whole "detox" thing and going without insulin???...does not sound like a good plan to me. Additionally a curve done while the cat is at the vet could be significantly influenced by the stress of the environment. I would think to test at home and then check with some knowledgeable Pro Zinc people regarding dosage would be your best choice here.

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean by detox but I would not withhold insulin. There's a risk of ketone development if you do that. The more you can tell us about your kitty's diabetes history the better we can help. Yes to posting on the ProZinc forum too.

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

There is another forum that tells their members they must 'detox' by withholding insulin for 1-3 days before changing. As we know, that subjects the cat to the possibility of ketones and soaring numbers that are hard to bring back down. Part of the reason for this is the change from a depot insulin, Lantus, to an 'In and Out', Prozinc but they recommend it regardless of the insulin. As long as you're testing, there is no 'detox' needed. The Lantus depot will slowly deplete as you're ramping up the Prozinc dose.

I second moving to the Prozinc forum - lots of people with lots of Prozinc experience there to help as you make this change.

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned the 'detox' is something used on some other forums, specifically those that follow a protocol developed by Dr Hodgkins.

Just to explain... The theory around the 'Hodgkin's protocol' is that a cat on a low-carbohydrate diet will be protected from any negative effects of hypoglycemia; while a cat on a higher carb diet will not. Therefore, it is suggested that the cat 'detoxes' by transitioning from a higher-carb diet to a low-carb diet, while insulin is withheld. Proponents of the theory then believe that once the cat is 'detoxed' they can allow their cats' blood glucose to drop into low levels without any harm being caused to them.
    IT SIMPLY ISN'T TRUE!!! I have certainly known cats on low carb diets to DIE from hypoglycemia....

For cats in high blood glucose levels it could be very dangerous to withhold insulin. This makes them more susceptible to developing 'ketones' which can quickly build in the system and cause a potentially lethal condition called DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis).
    It is advisable that all newly diagnosed kitties, and those in higher numbers, test for ketones.
    The ketone test is simple and just involves dipping the end of a ketone test strip (such as 'Ketostix') into a drop of pee; then timing, and checking the result. Crumpling plastic food wrap loosely in the litter tray (over the litter) can often be an easy way to catch a little sample.
    Anything over a 'trace' result is a reason to contact your vet ASAP.
    Be aware that not all ketones are picked up by the strips, so also have an awareness of how your kitty's breath smells. It should smell like normal cat breath (!). If you notice a smell that's fruity or like acetone that can indicate ketones.

I strongly suggest that you get a blood glucose meter and learn to test your kitty's blood glucose yourself. It's not hard to learn, honestly! And it will help you enormously in understanding and managing your kitty's diabetes. We can help you learn.

Here's the link to the Prozinc forum where you can get advice on using this insulin. They're a lovely friendly bunch. (However for general questions, or if you need advice in a hurry DO post again on the main forum.)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

Eliz

10. Kak123

Kak123 New Member

11. Kak123

Kak123 New Member

Elizabeth,
    Thanks for answering my question about detox because it didn't sound safe to me since Wizard readings are very high when he had his curve done at the vet's he was in the 500 readings. We changed him to prozinc and he is doing a little better but not good enough so that is why I am starting to test him at home. Wizard eats mostly wet cat food but I was still giving him some dry at nights but that will change now that I am employed again and can afford the wet food he needs. I do have a monitor and testing strips and would like to get this started this weekend.
    Kathi and Wizard

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  12. Kak123

Kak123 New Member

I was asking about it because that was suggested on another site and I was worried.
    Kathi

13. Kak123

Kak123 New Member

China
    Because all his blood work has been done and nothing shows up. My vet wanted to do these tests but I was unemployed and couldn't afford them. Do you suggest I still get them done?
    Katghi

14. Kak123

Kak123 New Member

Chris, Where do you get the supplement?
    Kathi

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  15. Chris & China (GA)

How much insulin is your cat on? Have you just now started home testing? Your signature says 4cc's.....Insulin is measured in units, not cc's, so I'm assuming you mean 4 units.

You can buy it from Amazon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.