Behavior question: how do I play with a biter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimberbee, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Toasty has been with us about 6 days now - I don't work, so I've been home and interacting with him a lot.

The great news is he's a wonderful snuggler, we enjoy naps together on the couch, and he keeps me company as I move from room to room doing chores and cleaning up, chatting the whole time.

I am, however having a hard time with play time. He does not want to play *with* me - if I dangle feathers, mice, catnip fish in front of him, he goes for my hand and NOT the toy. Thankfully, I earned his trust right away and was able to trim his claws, but as he pulls my hand in, he nips at me. I don't want to be a snack!!

He does play on his own. He likes a fuzzy, crinkly kicker toy and a small plastic ball with a bell in it. I just think it would be fun to learn how to play together.

I'm already thinking one of those ball in a track toys might be interesting to him, as well as those activity mats you can put treats in.

Any suggestions would be helpful!!

2. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Persistence. You just got kitty. He might have trust issues from experience with a previous owner (or perhaps the owner's child(ren).

When kitty bites, "No" (or whatever word you use for "bad") and quit playing with him for awhile. Extinction of unwanted behavior. If you continue to play with him after he bites/nips, you are actually rewarding the behavior. You need to be firm and very, very consistent. It takes time, but he will learn.

A dangly toy you can attach to a cat tree or door might help him learn how to play with that type of toy, and then maybe he'll play with the same type of toy as you dangle it.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I agree you will need to teach him what is right and what is not so be firm every time he bites game is over and be firm on time he will learn

beggargirl likes this.
  4. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

I get what you both are saying, I just wonder if it will work. He doesn't even look at the toy if it's in my hand, he just hones in on my hand. I've tried the long toy on a stick, but he still just follows my hand. Like those cats that don't fall for the laser pointers.

I've still been trying a little each day, and then I leave when he gets bitey. At least he will play alone, so he's getting a little extra exercise and stimulation.

5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Kitchen mit on your hand to cover & protect. Firm no... done playing!

kimberbee likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Laser pointers would keep your hands away. Also DaBird feather toy is 3 feet long so you could stand and play

7. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

That's overkill, he doesn't use his claws, and the biting is definitely "play" biting. I just know that any biting isn't good.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  8. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hello. I have 2 tips that have worked for me:

-when biting starts a gentle bop on the nose with one finger and a firm No. Stop play.

-lightly blow in their face, firm No, and stop play. This especially works if they are hanging onto your finger and won't let go!

These tips also worked on my dogs. My dogs had the softest mouths and never lunged for treats or toys.

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  9. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Don't tease/torment kitty too much/long with the laser pointer. Your cat may not have a high tolerance. My dog doesn't and figured out very quickly (about 10 seconds) she couldn't bite/step on/etc. the laser dot, and tried to take my hand off :eek:

kimberbee likes this.
  10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I really was joking about the mitts... but growing up I had a Siamese. Sheba would bite everyone but my mom. When she was little & tried to bite my mom, she would tap her nose. Not hard, but enough to distract her. She soon quit biting my mom. She continued biting me as I didn’t want to hurt her. I should have listened I guess!

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Mother cats swat their kittens noses to train them. Or so I've heard.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.