Bella’s new increase part 1

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bellasmom, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

well did a +4 and we have a red 434 seems to be going slowly up last couple days, normal? Or maybe something wrong? Little worried, we haven’t seen red in a bit

2. Bellasmom

Very frustrating, he gets to feeling better and then here we go again, I know, patience, he .5u has done all it can, so guess we will see what .75 does

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, very frustrating but stay the course. It'll get better. The L forum people might have a better take on how SLGS progresses.

4. Bellasmom

Posted on L forum, see what they say, I’m sure it will get better since the other dosage had done all it could do and I just saw where he went up the first day of lantus and it slowly went down, sometimes I forget to look at the whole pic and just focus on that stupid red number

5. Kris & Teasel

This is very hard to do but I guarantee it'll save your sanity. I often tell people to sit back and just squint at their SS to see how the colour distribution has changed. I do that from time to time with mine. :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  6. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

I used to do that with mine and was saddened by the recent colours from the past few months being all pinks and reds with just a few false hope yellows.

7. Bellasmom

I try not to be obsessed with the numbers but hard not to sometimes

8. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

SO hard. I was obsessed. It was ruling my life. :(

9. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Baby’s goes back & forth... I’m doing everything I can for this little girl & she runs this household, to boot! My day revolves around her most of the time! It’s all about the Baby so you have to feel fine with that! Pat yourself in the back for being awesome caretakers!

10. Bellasmom

11. Kris & Teasel

Hang in there ... You can take a pokey beak until PMPS I think. :)

12. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I love your new avatar picture!

13. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it's awfully cute! :)

14. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I love it too- new pic! Such a pretty kitty! I’m glad he’s so good for you! Baby has finally settled but makes this little moan sound when I pick her up. She only occasionally flips out now. Progress. I still think she says to herself, “I thought momma loved me; then why is she poking me like this.” Bad way to look at it so I can’t dwell. I’m sure a lot of us feel like this?? No? Yes? Maybe just me...plus I finally found a dry treat for her after shot/test & it gives her diahpoo. Back to the drawing board!
    Good luck on the dose increase, I’m pulling for you Bella!

15. Kris & Teasel

Hey! Look at that - lowest BG today at PMPS. :smuggrin: Try to get a before bed test every evening.

Bellasmom likes this.
  16. Bellasmom

17. Kris & Teasel

:):):):)!!!

18. Bellasmom

Amps 201

19. Bellasmom

Stumped on what to do, I looked on LL forum and read sticky it gives 3 options at BG 200 no shot, smaller shot, or wait 2 hrs and retest not sure what to do

20. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I see you got help on L&L, I just wanted to say that I love the new avatar!!!

ETA I just read that thread and you don’t suck!:D
    ETA In case of confusion about my ETA, those were Bellasmoms words, I was just letting her know she did fine this AM, no one on L&L was rude. It was early and no coffee yet. I need to stop commenting before coffee.....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Kris & Teasel and Bellasmom like this.
  21. Kris & Teasel

I’ll go check the L forum.

Bellasmom likes this.
  22. Bellasmom

No, no one was rude everyone helpful, very helpful, I was talking about myself, sorry for using the word

Sharon14 likes this.
  23. Kris & Teasel

I understood what was meant! ;) Don't be hard on yourself. Learning to treat FD is hard and when you switch insulin it's like starting back at the beginning.

Sharon14 and Bellasmom like this.
  24. Bellasmom

25. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I think you did well this AM. We ALL panic with that first lower than normal PS!

26. Bellasmom

Thank you, I will know now what to do, thanks to all:):)

27. Kris & Teasel

Well, you saw this AM that he's responding to the Lantus. You also have something to look for when you do future dose increases - a possible early reaction to the new dose. Always something to be learned from these stressful incidents. ;)

28. Bellasmom

+10 346, I should have given the .75 ??

29. Kris & Teasel

Possibly, but you have to do what's safest when you can't be home and don't have enough data/experience with the new insulin. Give 0.75 u tonight. Get a before bed test. There could also be a bit of NDW going on. :)

30. Bellasmom

Ok and ,y hubby will be home tomorrow so if’s it’s around amps 200 I’m gonna give the .75, is that,ok

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  31. Bellasmom

Just terrible pmps 466

32. Bellasmom

How can it go up that much in 1 hr

33. Kris & Teasel

The dose might have warn off a bit early. Does he have access to food all day when you're at work? Some people find that if the kitty eats after the +6 mark it can reduce the duration of the dose. There's also NDW that many say shows up a few cycles after a dose change. Try not to worry.

34. Bellasmom

Yes Dr elseys

35. Bellasmom

At what number should I not give a shot if 200 is a maybe what is a NO shot

36. Kris & Teasel

Just something to keep in mind for later. Right now, go back to the 0.75 u dose and follow SLGS. He's only been on Lantus 10 days and it can take a lot longer than that to get him more stable and to pick out patterns in his responses.

37. Kris & Teasel

It will be what the SLGS guidelines suggest along with a lot of data on your SS that shows you his responses. From the SLGS guide with parts I highlighted for emphasis:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

How to handle a lower than normal preshot number:

In the beginning we suggest following the guidelines in the FDMB's FAQ Q4.4:
    Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
    A4.4.
    There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options: a.) give nothing; b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose); c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value.
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
    • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.
    Keep in mind these are general guidelines, and they should be personalized to your own cat's response to insulin. If your experience is that your cat does not became hypoglycemic with a dose which is close to her usual, then personal experience should be your guide.

With experience, you may find that lowering these thresholds may work well for your cat. When you have reached that stage, the following guidelines are suggested for Lantus and Levemir users following the Start Low Go Slow approach:

If the preshot number is far below usual preshot numbers:
    • Do you need to stay on schedule? Then skip the shot.
    • Do you have some flexibility with your schedule? Then stalling to wait for the number to rise might be a good option. Don't feed, retest after 30-60 minutes, and decide if the number is shootable.
    • Repeat until the cat either reaches a number at which you are comfortable shooting, or enough time has passed that skipping the shot is necessary.
    If the preshot number is near usual preshot numbers:
    • Look at your data to see what numbers you have shot in the past and decide what would be a safe, shootable number for your cat. Don't feed. Stall until kitty reaches the preshot number you've decided on and then shoot.
    We usually don't suggest or recommend shooting a preshot number less than 90 mg/dL when following the SLGS Method. Remember that with SLGS, your goal is to achieve flat numbers that are greater than 90, so there is no need to push a cat into numbers lower than that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Bellasmom likes this.
  38. Bellasmom

Yeah that’s what I was looking at this am, thanks!!

39. Bellasmom

Well we are a little high this am, gave .75 and hubby going to do checks on him today

40. Kris & Teasel

Right now I think you’re seeing the much slower, gentler action of Lantus. Novolin was able to drop Bella’s BG much more aggressively. You might get to a higher dose before seeing blues and better. The two insulins are like apples and oranges. Hubby doesn’t need to do a lot of tests, just a couple of key ones between +4 and +7 or +8.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  41. Bellasmom

Ok thanks he will be glad

42. Bellasmom

I put Bella’s labs from July of last year

43. Kris & Teasel

I have no experience interpreting labs. There are other members who do.

44. Bellasmom

It was more of a FYI thing, I didn’t know if we were suppose to put them in

45. Kris & Teasel

They're a good thing to include.. Sometimes people on the L forum will ask about them. :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  46. Kris & Teasel

Is Abby still vomiting?

47. Bellasmom

No not at all
    Bella’s +7 314

48. Bellasmom

Increase to 2.5? Abby

49. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm confused... Are you asking about increasing the dose for Bella, or something about Abby? Abby I don't know, but Bella should stay put at 0.75 for a while.

50. Kris & Teasel

You’re referring to Abby’s felimazole dose, right? Had you cut the pills in half? How many days on the half pill?

Bellasmom likes this.
  51. Bellasmom

Abby, Kris was asking about her and her thyroid medicine, it was making her nauseous so I cut it in half was asking her if I should give her reg dose now, thanks for asking and watching out for me:)

52. Kris & Teasel

Abby is Bella’s mom’s hyperthyroid kitty. Sorry for the confusion.

Bellasmom likes this.
  53. Bellasmom

Yes, you suggested half 2x a day because of throwing up, started her on sat

54. Bellasmom

sorry for confusion

55. Kris & Teasel

You could give it the rest of the week and then go up this Saturday.

Bellasmom likes this.
  56. Kris & Teasel

I think hubby can wait until PMPS for the next test.

Bellasmom likes this.
  57. Bellasmom

I wanna ask a :confused:o_O question
    Ok, if a cat has diabetes and you put them on insulin and take away all or most of their sugar then how does still get so high, like I feed Bella very very low food and he gets insulin nothing changes but his numbers always do, some days good, some days :woot:

58. Bellasmom

His body must not produce hardly any at all and I see that with a lot of cats the numbers change so much when they are not changing anything. And when people say stress elevates BG does that stress just make the insulin not work as good, yes I think to much but I always like to know WHY

59. Kris & Teasel

Their body can make sugar out of the fat and protein they eat. The sugar they make doesn’t get into their cells properly when they’re diabetic because they aren’t making enough insulin of their own and if you aren’t at the right dose yet there’s not enough injected insulin to do the job.

Bellasmom likes this.
  60. Bellasmom

Crazy how the body works

61. Kris & Teasel

There are many really complicated processes involved so no simple answer. One part of it is the stress response causing the body to get glucose into the bloodstream from other forms it’s stored in. That response is part of readying the body to react to or escape from a threat (fight or flight).

Bellasmom likes this.
  62. Kris & Teasel

Re Abby: if you want to phase in the felimazole even more gradually you could give a half pill AM and 2.5 mg PM for several days.

Bellasmom likes this.
  63. Bellasmom

She’s does really well, she’s 13 and this is the 1st time ever she’s had something wrong for medication

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.