Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Becky & Baby Girl GA, Feb 17, 2018.
Redoing this thread for Bella! Thread below this! 41 bg
no won’t eat, is alert
Just retested up to 55
Force feed with syringe, I’m too new at this! Below 50 needs an ER! Rub the honey on her gums.quickly
Ok good whew! Make her eat some please...do you have some high carb food? Best to keep some handy! Keep testing in about 15 to make sure she’s going up. Syringe feed or coax her to eat! Honey rubbed into her mouth & gums. Come on Bella!
Forced food gave dry food also and some more honey when should I take again, thanks formhelp
Sorry I called her a him! Got excited! Good for you. When was her last injection? I was told to test every 30 minutes for the first 4-5 hours or nadir as the insulin will keep working to bring it down. I stayed up all night with Baby watching her & stuffing food & testing! I did have to give more Karo syrup at 1 hr later to give her another boost. I took Baby to ER vet but watched them do this. Took her home & monitored her all night.
Just seeing this now. Deep breaths ... feed a small snack of gravy from a gravy style wet food, maybe with a half tsp of the actual food in it. How long after the 41 did you get the 55? Did you give honey or karo or did the BG go up on its own?
The routine is:
if BG is below 68 or hovering at 68, give a very tiny snack of something high carb
wait 20 minutes or so and retest
is BG is above 68 wait another 20 minutes and test again
if BG has dropped low again give another tiny HC snack or regular food with a bit of honey or karo
repeat above until a couple of test show either BG hovering above 68 or rising
test at 30 minute then 60 minute intervals with no carb intervention to be sure he's holding his own above 68.
keep SS up to date so we can follow along.
Honey, about 10 min, I’m not sure was in a panic
I probably should not have given 4u this am omg
Just to add: those snacks should be small so he'll continue to eat if necessary. This is showing you that he's reached a point where the 4 u dose is too high. That dark green a few days ago was a hint that this is the case. The ideal nadir with an insulin like N is somewhere in the 90 to 110 range to give a little safety margin. Normally we'd say to reduce the dose by only 0.25 u but this is a high-ish dose so I suggest dropping his dose down a whole unit to 3 u twice a day. If that proves to be too little insulin it can be safely raised later. He'll be more insulin sensitive after the lime green so dropping by a whole unit is better I think.
We are at 84
Not your fault! You gave 4 u in the PM on 14 Feb and he was OK. This takes time to figure out and you're doing the testing that'll get you there. Please follow the routine I described above and keep your SS updated.
Good! Not out of the woods yet. He hasn't reached nadir. That's generally in the +4 to +6 range.
How do I log when taking every 15 min
NOTE: I've changed the reference numbers in my post #8 because I just remembered you're using a pet meter. The take action number is 68 on a pet meter.
Just click on the cell and add the BG into it where the previous number is. The cell will expand to hold it but you'll have to go in to hand colour it using the little paint can icon from the tool bar at the top of the SS. Choose the colour that corresponds to the BG range.
Not important at this moment but you're using a human meter SS where the colour codes automatically to lime green when you enter aything below 50. There's a pet meter version of the SS where that would happen if you enter anything below 68 because a pet meter reads higher. It could confuse people looking at your SS.
You’re doing everything right! Great job & thanks to Kris for helping! This is part of that sugar dance! You know how to keep Bella safe now! Great job... sorry if I made you more nervous- I didn’t mean too, just trying to help! Do not judge! Big
Pet meter... ok.
It would be helpful if you could remove the 911 from your thread title because your post has been seen. You can put the blue question mark icon in its place to keep attention on your thread.
Let me know if you've understood what I've said about the testing/snacks routine. I have to go out in about an hour so won't be able to monitor. Others will be along soon. If at any time he starts to dive again put the red 911 back up for fast attention.
Thanks guys for your help
I've tagged a few people to keep eyes on you. I have to leave in an hour.
Hey! Looks like you're about at +5 now right? How are things now? She should be hitting nadir soon, so that's good, but it would be good to see where she's at to make sure she isn't diving.
BG 123, thanks for checking on me
I am currently trying to make the ss for Bella for the pet meter, do I delete the other one first
No, I'd keep the other one up until you have the new one set up. That way, if you run into difficulties, we can still see the SS.
I'm so sorry, @Kris & Teasel, I've been around, but completely missed the tag. It looks like Rachel is here and everything is okay anyway, so my work here is done!
Happy Saturday, everyone!
We are at 484 now
Don't worry - just a big bounce from that lime green.
I'd drop the dose to 3 u tonight. He'll be a bit insulin sensitive from that low today so you'll want to get a +2 test this evening. He proved today that 4 u is too high a dose at this point in time. Doses can and will fluctuate up and down a little over time.
If his BG is lower than 246 which is what it was a little,bit ago do I give him 3u
No, post here for advice. You're new to data gathering and are using a pet meter. We usually recommend no insulin unless BG is over 250 on a pet meter under these circumstances. If he's borderline we can help you decide what to do.
If he's over 250, give 3 u and get a test at +2 this evening. I'll be checking in periodically.
Please don't apologize. I know this is all very new and confusing to you. The learning curve is very steep. I underlined "post here for advice" to make sure you check in before giving insulin if it's near the 250 mark.
We are at 346, just fed, so 3u?
Sorry no one else is here-- I don't know Novalin well enough to recommend a dose, but I think Kris (who does know this insulin) thought 3U would be a good dose.
If you still have time before shooting, wait for other responses, but otherwise: 346 is definitely high enough to shoot, and as long as 1) he ate well, and 2) you are ready to monitor tonight if need be, I think you are good to go!
Thanks, I was reading about Novolin N and it says wait 1 hr before giving after he eats, I’ve never done that cause I didn’t know that, vet said give while eating so I’m waiting an hr
Yes, with the fast-acting insulins you want to be absolutely sure that there's a meal "on board" when the insulin hits. Waiting an hour gives an extra cushion.
I don't know Novolin well either, but I think 3 units would be good...I trust Kris's judgement and I also think that you're likely to have a high, flat cycle tonight (classic bounce). Of course, there are no guarantees, so I'd be sure to get a +2 test and post it here so folks can take a look and help you determine if you're likely to see an active cycle instead.
You did GREAT today by the way! That low number was scary, but you handled it so well. Kudos to you!
Thank you and thanks to all you guys, I was scared to death and shaking all over, but because of you fine people I will know better what to do, thanks again
Yes, give 3 u. I suggested that because 4 u brought him down low today, that low will probably make him a bit more insulin sensitive and also it would be good to have a slightly larger safety cushion at nadir with this insulin. The nadir at 4 u on 15 Feb was bit lower than is advisable, especially as measured with a pet meter.
Keep 3 u for a couple of days to see how he does. It can always be nudged back up if it proves to be too little insulin. Always better safe than sorry.
It says to give 1 hr after he eats and that’s what I did I will test again at +2, thank you
I changed spreadsheet to cat meter
I see your +2 test. It's 100+ points lower than PMPS probably because he's insulin sensitive after that lime green. Test him again at +3 to see if you'll need to break out the carbs again to level him out. No need to panic ...
Separate names with a comma.